Installed new drive and new distro how to grant permissions to old drive

sidilakies

Reaction score
Credits
Hello
I bought a new hard drive and and Installed Linux mint, My old drive is still in the pc, I can access it to some extent but I want to back up my new mint setup with the backup tool, I can put folders and files on the drive and was able to import all my files to mint (old drive is Ubuntu) but when I try to put the backup onto the old drive it says I don't have permission. I have tried adding myself to permissions, but it won't except it when I run backup tool. This isn't the end of the world if I can't get this to work and or if it is not possible. Also I should mention I did nothing to the old drive except move it to another m.2 slot, since the new drive is Pcie 4.0 and I only have one Pcie 4.0 slot. but I can still boot into Ubuntu , which I was surprised and kinda glad to see that.
Thanks

G'day sidilakies, Welcome to Linux.org

Try, click on menu, type in disks, then single click on the old drive....that should simply highlight it.

Then, .....see pic below
1715215925976.png

....the red arrow points at a pai of 'gears'......click on that....then on Edit mount Options.....Unclick "Use Session Defaults" .....then click on ok

That should give backup access to it

G'day sidilakies, Welcome to Linux.org

Try, click on menu, type in disks, then single click on the old drive....that should simply highlight it.

Then, .....see pic below
View attachment 19827
....the red arrow points at a pai of 'gears'......click on that....then on Edit mount Options.....Unclick "Use Session Defaults" .....then click on ok

That should give backup access to it
Thanks but it did not work for me, How about take ownership, will that work ?

Give it a try....nothing to lose

Welcome to the Forum.
1715309273446.gif

If I was doing this...I'd backup the Mint Drive with Foxclone...https://foxclone.org/ then you can put the image created by Foxclone on the old Drive...I assume this is what you want to do.
1715310639079.gif

I use Timeshift for a system image which looks like foxclone. I also at this point I have an external docking station to back up my files. I will be building a nas with an HP EliteDesk 705 MINI G4 AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 2400G 16GB 256GB NVMe I have. I've been using Ubuntu for quite a few years but don't care for the direction they are going in so it was time to move on and I always used cinnamon desktop and when I tried both mint cinnamon and debian cinnamon, mint seamed better, plus it is native to Mint. And I never had files I was worried about until I started designing stuff, so now I have hundreds of drawings. when I switched distros I only had one partition which now I learned to keep my Home directories on a seperate partition so upgrading or changing distros will be less of a problem, But any way until I build the Nas I want a few backups, pretty much on a daily basis, and automatically.
As far as the drive that has Ubuntu on it, everything has been ported over and backed up, so I'll probably just format and re-partition it. I'm going to try the take ownership of it just to learn. Thanks for the help

Members online