I finally did it. Windows in the trash!

I am doing an online programming course. On windows I used to be able to use VSCode to do my assignments in (using codespaces extension), sadly on Linux there is no support for VScodium (I can't even find the extension), so now I have to do my assignments in my browser... That is the only compatibility problem I've run into without being able to find a solution to
I'm using VSCode for Linux every day and I would not change it for any other code editor, it's unmatched.

They probably found out that Windows is platform #1 in the world.

But for how long...that's only because windoze users don't know any better...if they did things would be very different. ;)

I came on this forum a few months ago not knowing anything about Linux and wanting to switch over from Windows because of frustration with low performance on my Ryzen 3, 8Gb RAM laptop... Sometimes my computer would crash while compiling programs and lag while watching movies... Thanks to the amazing community here I was sent in a trajectory that lead me to learn by trying various distros on VMs. It has been great.

Finally today I removed Windows 11 completely from my laptop and installed Xubuntu. This is by far my favorite distro for a few reasons: 1, It's really really fast. 2, Xfce is super user friendly. 3, It ships kind of bare bones but with enough apps preinstalled for most common tasks. This makes it very customizable for specific use cases.

Just came to share the happy news and thank everyone again.. Thanks team!
Congratulations! I decided wiped the Giant the morning after trying out LM. It was a quick decision, yes. But I haven't looked back and I haven't regretted it one single bit.

Awesome! Mint would be my choice if I had a bit beefier computer
Have you tried MINT LMDE6, it is a tad lighter than Mint 21 [Ubuntu base] so it's slightly quicker [not a lot] but it runs fine on this 2010 intel T series CPU and 4gb ram

Have you tried MINT LMDE6, it is a tad lighter than Mint 21 [Ubuntu base] so it's slightly quicker [not a lot] but it runs fine on this 2010 intel T series CPU and 4gb ram
I just compared the specs now for the first time... LMDE is just as efficient on resources as Xubuntu is... I will probably end up switching sooner or later. Thank you

But for how long...that's only because windoze users don't know any better...if they did things would be very different. ;)

Maybe people use a platform because other people use the same platform. I know, it's a wild idea.

There's no single sign this is going to change any time soon.
You don't go from a 0.2% market share to 92% in a week.

Or, which OS do you have in mind ? And by when exactly ?

If your PC isn't super duper Debian might as well be good choice.
But it also depends on DE (Desktop Environment) which you install, some consume less resources some more.
I guess XFCE is the way to go if I want to be as lightweight as possible?

I guess XFCE is the way to go if I want to be as lightweight as possible?
LXDE is the least resource consuming among all DE's I know of, so if you want to go a low as possible then LXDE

But keep in mind that those low resource DE's aren't feature rich like KDE or GNOME

LXDE is the least resource consuming among all DE's I know of, so if you want to go a low as possible then LXDE

But keep in mind that those low resource DE's aren't feature rich like KDE or GNOME
Thank you. I will check it out before making a final decision.. as long as I can have a stable system that can do my programming tasks efficiently I will be happy

Thank you. I will check it out before making a final decision.. as long as I can have a stable system that can do my programming tasks efficiently I will be happy
For pleasant programming you shouldn't care so much about distro and DE, but rather about your development tools and environment.

Debian + LXDE will surely save you a lot of resources that can be otherwise spent for development tools.

VSCode for instance might consume large amounts of memory but that depends on how big your code base is and also on what extensions do you enable per workspace.

I don't know if you're aware but I don't suggest VSCodium as an alternative to VSCode because it's failing behind in pulling in changes from upstream and fixing issues.
The Microsoft trademark stuff that's not present in VSCodium is not worth it, and you can disable telemetry in VSCode if that bothers you.

For pleasant programming you shouldn't care so much about distro and DE, but rather about your development tools and environment.

Debian + LXDE will surely save you a lot of resources that can be otherwise spent for development tools.

VSCode for instance might consume large amounts of memory but that depends on how big your code base is and also on what extensions do you enable per workspace.

I don't know if you're aware but I don't suggest VSCodium as an alternative to VSCode because it's failing behind in pulling in changes from upstream and fixing issues.
The Microsoft trademark stuff that's not present in VSCodium is not worth it, and you can disable telemetry in VSCode if that bothers you.
Wait a minute, there is a VSCode IDE for Linux? I thought VSCodium was the Linux fork of VSCode..

I try keep my system as light as possible because it makes compiling APKs with buildozer faster and in the past with windows I even had my computer freeze up during the process

Wait a minute, there is a VSCode IDE for Linux? I thought VSCodium was the Linux fork of VSCode..
lol no! VSCode is cross platform, there is Linux variant as well:

lol no! VSCode is cross platform, there is Linux variant as well:
Thank you. I feel so stupid but I am grateful to know this.. Hopefully can use codespaces extension and do my programming assignments in my IDE again!

Thank you. I feel so stupid but I am grateful to know this.. Hopefully can use codespaces extension and do my programming assignments in my IDE again!
All extensions work on Linux just fine, at least all of those which I use work on Linux, I heavily use extensions and they all work.
Reason they work is because they're written in TypeScript which is the language of VSCode extensions API, so there is no platform specific code.

Those extensions from MS extension store just work.

Members online