I finally did it. Windows in the trash!

Freepoorman

Reaction score
Credits
I came on this forum a few months ago not knowing anything about Linux and wanting to switch over from Windows because of frustration with low performance on my Ryzen 3, 8Gb RAM laptop... Sometimes my computer would crash while compiling programs and lag while watching movies... Thanks to the amazing community here I was sent in a trajectory that lead me to learn by trying various distros on VMs. It has been great.

Finally today I removed Windows 11 completely from my laptop and installed Xubuntu. This is by far my favorite distro for a few reasons: 1, It's really really fast. 2, Xfce is super user friendly. 3, It ships kind of bare bones but with enough apps preinstalled for most common tasks. This makes it very customizable for specific use cases.

Just came to share the happy news and thank everyone again.. Thanks team!

I came on this forum a few months ago not knowing anything about Linux and wanting to switch over from Windows because of frustration with low performance on my Ryzen 3, 8Gb RAM laptop... Sometimes my computer would crash while compiling programs and lag while watching movies... Thanks to the amazing community here I was sent in a trajectory that lead me to learn by trying various distros on VMs. It has been great.

Finally today I removed Windows 11 completely from my laptop and installed Xubuntu. This is by far my favorite distro for a few reasons: 1, It's really really fast. 2, Xfce is super user friendly. 3, It ships kind of bare bones but with enough apps preinstalled for most common tasks. This makes it very customizable for specific use cases.

Just came to share the happy news and thank everyone again.. Thanks team!
Congrats on the switch! I agree, xfce is great. I like the version MX Linux runs.

You will never regret it.
1715475044552.gif

I will download and put on a usb stick 24.01....just to see what its like

I also have it in mind to download LMDE6 ....it is based on Debian, and is designed to be as close as possible to Linux mint Cinnamon

Where do you get 24.01? I got my copy from the official site and ran sudo apt dist-upgrade..

It was released just recently...at the same time as Ubuntu 24

be aware that 23.10 has an End of Life date 24th July 2024

Do not panic.

You CAN upgrade to 24.01.....personally I would wait a little while to do that.....it gives them time to iron out some of the bugs

When you are ready

it is a matter of entering the three lines intio Terminal, ONE AT A TIME....press enter between each one.

There IS an upgrade now ....so ignore that

actually this is from that same page, and appears to be more correct

2 Answers​

Sorted by:
Highest score (default) Date modified (newest first) Date created (oldest first)
Try this command:
sudo do-release-upgrade -d .....<<<<<That One.

Improve this answer
Follow

answered Mar 11 at 7:07
Maxime's user avatar
Maxime
3,15911 gold badge1212 silver badges44 bronze badges

• @ArturMeinild Sorry, I didn't know that, so I ended up with a couple of development 24.04 machines. Sarcasm off: it just work, see man do-release-upgrade about -d switch.
    Maxime
    Mar 12 at 11:06

• Thank you @Maxime your answer was the number one Google Search result and it saved me time.

The freedom CAN take some getting used to. Enjoy it!
I love learning new things, right now I'm just struggling a bit to get TLP working. I keep my laptop plugged in all the time and would like to limit charging to 80%... I installed it, created a config file, added the parameters, ran TLP... When I run "sudo tlp-stat -b" It shows me:
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_end_threshold = 80 [%]

...but for some reason my battery is still charging to 100%...

I'll get there...

I love learning new things, right now I'm just struggling a bit to get TLP working. I keep my laptop plugged in all the time and would like to limit charging to 80%... I installed it, created a config file, added the parameters, ran TLP... When I run "sudo tlp-stat -b" It shows me:
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_end_threshold = 80 [%]

...but for some reason my battery is still charging to 100%...

I'll get there...
Which distro did you install if it's ubuntu or mint you can install slimbookbattery a graphical frontend for tlp which works very well.
here is the page to install from.

Which distro did you install if it's ubuntu or mint you can install slimbookbattery a graphical frontend for tlp which works very well.
here is the page to install from.
I installed on Xubuntu (Ubuntu), so thank you very much! I have to run to the airport but I will check it out if it works when I get back. This looks promising

@Freepoorman :-

Congrats! And welcome to that small percentage of global computer users who have FULL control over their hardware......

The freedom CAN take some getting used to. Enjoy it!

Mike. ;)
Scratches Head.

Please explain exactly what you mean by this statement.
"welcome to that small percentage of global computer users who have FULL control over their hardware......"

I have a Windows 10 desktop and have complete control over everything that happens on it before it happens.
Nothing is installed or happens or is done unless I initiate it manually.

Members online