How to add pkgs.org and other mirrors in centOS 8?

NobinPegasus

Reaction score
Credits
Code:
https://centos.pkgs.org/8-stream/centos-appstream-x86_64/
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/AppStream/x86_64/os/Packages/
I am new to centOS. I want to add these two repositories so that whenver I use yum install I get the latest packages from them.

For example I want to install clang 17.
Currently when I input yum install clang
It shows clang 12 which is pretty outdated.

I want the result like
When I input
sudo yum install clang it shows the clang version 17

pkgs.org is just a web search tool to see what packages are in the repos of a distribution. Clang 17 is already in the default repos of CentOS Stream 8. Go the following url and search for clang.
You will see "clang-17.0.6-1.module_el8+767+9fa966b8.x86_64.rpm" listed.

Code:
[root@c8stream ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Stream release 8
[root@c8stream ~]# yum info clang.x86_64
Last metadata expiration check: 0:01:16 ago on Tue 16 Apr 2024 12:17:15 PM CEST.
Available Packages
Name         : clang
Version      : 17.0.6
Release      : 1.module_el8+767+9fa966b8
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 85 k
Source       : clang-17.0.6-1.module_el8+767+9fa966b8.src.rpm
Repository   : appstream
Summary      : A C language family front-end for LLVM

@f33dm3bits
I don't want to manually download the binary package. Because it then becomes a tiresome loop of dependency.
Rather I want to add repo. Currently my OS is CentOS Linux not CentOS Stream

@f33dm3bits
I don't want to manually download the binary package. Because it then becomes a tiresome loop of dependency.
Rather I want to add repo. Currently my OS is CentOS Linux not CentOS Stream
My shared terminal output is from a CentOS Stream 8 installation, and the info about is is from the default repos nothing else added.

CentOS Stream is not the same as CentOS Linux.
You were linking to a CentOS Stream 8 repo, which gave me the impression you were using that. So do you mean you are using CentOS 7?

CentOS 8 was given an early end of life: December 31st, 2021. So that means you havent' been getting updates for that system since that date.

You should have converted to CentOS 8 Stream before that date, you can still try and do that.
If you convert to CentOS 8 Stream you will have access to the all the packages in the CentOS 8 Stream repos including clang 17.

A little manners would not go astray either @NobinPegasus - you were wrong and @f33dm3bits is trying to help you.

Wizard

Last edited:

Staff online

Latest posts