How do I get Linux+wine to detect if a file is there to run an iwingamesmanager thing? Or something else?

any name you wish

Reaction score
Credits
^^^, Problem:
Screenshot 2024-04-20 11.39.51 PM.png

The problem is that the system is detecting the file as if it's not there? How do I get the installer thing to run?

Not all applications will run through wine, but looking at your terminal output you are trying to launch a desktop file using wine and not and exe file.

So try launching "iWinManager.exe" with wine, but seeming that it's a not very well known application I doubt that it will work correctly if it does work.

You could use a bash script to check for file availability. I use this script with ookla's speedtest. If it's not installed, the system installs it. It won't resume the original command but I think that can be fixed with a FOR loop, instead of "IF". I'll modify the script for you:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if command -v iWinGamesManager.exe >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    # The program is found, run it with wine
    echo "Running iWinGamesManager with wine"
    wine iWinGamesManager.exe
else
    # The program isn't found, it will be installed
    echo "Program not found. Installing."
    wine /path/to/the/installer/of/iWinGamesManager.exe
fi

A .desktop file is basically a desktop shortcut which will allow you to click an icon in your OS’s main application menu/launcher or from inside a file manager, in order to run the application.

Because of the .desktop files location, it won’t appear in any of your system menus, so your only option will be to run the.desktop file from a file manager.

Open your file manager, navigate to the directory containing the .desktop file and double click it to run the executable.

If you want to run the executable in the terminal, open a terminal, navigate to the directory containing the .desktop file and run the following command:
Bash:
\grep -i exec "Play iWin Games.desktop"

Assuming the .desktop file is a valid Linux/posix .desktop file, that should show you the command used by the .desktop file to launch the executable.

And because the executable is a windows executable, I imagine the .desktop probably uses Wine to run it.

Whatever command is in the exec line of the .desktop file is the command you should run in the terminal.

I hope this helps.

Members online

Latest posts