Gimp 3 is on the way

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
For those that do a lot of image work you may be interested to know that Gimp 3 is almost here.
And if you want you can give the Development release a try.

I have been searching for an easy to follow and understand tutorial on how to use gimp. All I find is that witch is showed jumps from this place to that place and all over and I don't understand a thing nor even have the ability to remember any of it. I want just simple quick and easy to understand functions not have to earn a doctorate degree.
Always,
Wildman

I have been searching for an easy to follow and understand tutorial on how to use gimp. All I find is that witch is showed jumps from this place to that place and all over and I don't understand a thing nor even have the ability to remember any of it. I want just simple quick and easy to understand functions not have to earn a doctorate degree.
Finding youtube channels is better than tutorials and articles when it comes to programs like GIMP or Blender ;)

Another method that is also good is to google out each gimp function and then practice.

I'll keep looking but sure don't get the flipping through all them layers just to make a what I think should be a simple function. I can see why people say gimp is hard to learn.
Always,
Wildman

@wildman :-

I'll keep looking but sure don't get the flipping through all them layers just to make a what I think should be a simple function. I can see why people say gimp is hard to learn.
Always,
Wildman
Wellll......Photoshop ain't exactly a "walk in the park" either, y'know?

Graphic design has been a passion of mine for well over 40 years. I've been using these boxes of black magic for nearly that long.....certainly since the late 70s.

I've used the G.I.M.P ever since it was first released......and Photoshop from before it even WAS 'Photoshop' (back in the dim, distant days of MacroMedia's stewardship, at which time - the late 80s - it was simply known as 'Image'. At that point, I was occasionally running it on a balky old Apple Lisa.....until 1993, when it was eventually ported to Windows, and re-named to Photoshop.)

I've used the pair of 'em alongside each other for so long I know their work-flows inside-out......and can swap from one to the other mid-project, and carry on without missing a beat. "Familiarity breeds contempt", as the old saw would have it. Many long-term users kinda lose sight of the fact that both are extremely powerful pieces of software, developed & refined over the course of many years; ideal for pros, semi-pros and dedicated hobbyists like myself.......but not so great for beginners, or those who just wish to perform basic image-editing tasks.

For much day-to-day stuff, BOTH of 'em are complete "overkill". (Just my two-penn'orth, FWIW.)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
GIMP is missing modes of smudge tool and blur, ''blur color'' ''smudge color'' and some other modes of those tools that Photoshop has since more than 2 decades now. I hope they have added those in the 3rd version

GIMP is missing modes of smudge tool and blur, ''blur color'' ''smudge color'' and some other modes of those tools that Photoshop has since more than 2 decades now. I hope they have added those in the 3rd version

For some distro's you install the plugins separately.

elementary-icon-theme-gimp-palette.noarch : Icons from the Elementary Project (GIMP palette)
gimp-data-extras.noarch : Extra files for GIMP
gimp-dds-plugin.x86_64 : A plugin for GIMP allows you to load/save in the DDS format
gimp-devel.i686 : GIMP plugin and extension development kit
gimp-devel.x86_64 : GIMP plugin and extension development kit
gimp-devel-tools.x86_64 : GIMP plugin and extension development tools
gimp-elsamuko.noarch : Script collection for the GIMP
gimp-high-pass-filter.noarch : High-pass filter script for the GIMP
gimp-layer-via-copy-cut.x86_64 : Layer via copy/cut plug-in for GIMP
gimp-lensfun.x86_64 : Gimp plugin to correct lens distortion
gimp-libs.i686 : GIMP libraries
gimp-libs.x86_64 : GIMP libraries
gimp-lqr-plugin.x86_64 : Content-aware resizing plug-in for the GIMP
gimp-luminosity-masks.noarch : Luminosity mask channels plug-in for Gimp
gimp-paint-studio.noarch : A collection of tool option presets and brushes for GIMP
gimp-resynthesizer.x86_64 : Gimp plug-in for texture synthesis
gimp-save-for-web.x86_64 : Save for web plug-in for GIMP
gimp-separate+.x86_64 : Rudimentary CMYK support for The GIMP
gimp-wavelet-decompose.noarch : Decomposing image plug-in for Gimp
gimp-wavelet-denoise-plugin.x86_64 : Gimp wavelet denoise plugin
gimpfx-foundry.noarch : Additional GIMP plugins
gmic-gimp.x86_64 : G'MIC plugin for GIMP
ufraw-gimp.x86_64 : GIMP plugin to retrieve raw image data from digital cameras
xsane-gimp.x86_64 : GIMP plug-in providing the SANE scanner interface
============================== Name Matched: gimp ==============================
gimp-fourier-plugin.x86_64 : A simple plug-in to do fourier transform on your image
gimp-jxl-plugin.x86_64 : A plugin for loading and saving JPEG-XL images
perl-PCP-LogImport.x86_64 : Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) Perl bindings for importing external data into PCP archives

For some distro's you install the plugins separately.

elementary-icon-theme-gimp-palette.noarch : Icons from the Elementary Project (GIMP palette)
gimp-data-extras.noarch : Extra files for GIMP
gimp-dds-plugin.x86_64 : A plugin for GIMP allows you to load/save in the DDS format
gimp-devel.i686 : GIMP plugin and extension development kit
gimp-devel.x86_64 : GIMP plugin and extension development kit
gimp-devel-tools.x86_64 : GIMP plugin and extension development tools
gimp-elsamuko.noarch : Script collection for the GIMP
gimp-high-pass-filter.noarch : High-pass filter script for the GIMP
gimp-layer-via-copy-cut.x86_64 : Layer via copy/cut plug-in for GIMP
gimp-lensfun.x86_64 : Gimp plugin to correct lens distortion
gimp-libs.i686 : GIMP libraries
gimp-libs.x86_64 : GIMP libraries
gimp-lqr-plugin.x86_64 : Content-aware resizing plug-in for the GIMP
gimp-luminosity-masks.noarch : Luminosity mask channels plug-in for Gimp
gimp-paint-studio.noarch : A collection of tool option presets and brushes for GIMP
gimp-resynthesizer.x86_64 : Gimp plug-in for texture synthesis
gimp-save-for-web.x86_64 : Save for web plug-in for GIMP
gimp-separate+.x86_64 : Rudimentary CMYK support for The GIMP
gimp-wavelet-decompose.noarch : Decomposing image plug-in for Gimp
gimp-wavelet-denoise-plugin.x86_64 : Gimp wavelet denoise plugin
gimpfx-foundry.noarch : Additional GIMP plugins
gmic-gimp.x86_64 : G'MIC plugin for GIMP
ufraw-gimp.x86_64 : GIMP plugin to retrieve raw image data from digital cameras
xsane-gimp.x86_64 : GIMP plug-in providing the SANE scanner interface
============================== Name Matched: gimp ==============================
gimp-fourier-plugin.x86_64 : A simple plug-in to do fourier transform on your image
gimp-jxl-plugin.x86_64 : A plugin for loading and saving JPEG-XL images
perl-PCP-LogImport.x86_64 : Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) Perl bindings for importing external data into PCP archives
What am I supposed to do with all this files? How do I install them?

I just want a simple very easy to use program. I am not trying to create a master piece. Wasn't a Photo-shop user when I did have Windows. Yes gimp is good but very hard to understand for us non graphic savvy individuals. Just to many requirements to use this tool then that tool and so on and so forth to get done what we want.
Always,
Wildman

@Terminal Velocity I am not a GIMP expert (basically just use it to export jpeg to png), but in the distro I am in currently - LM 21.1 Vera - I just ran

Code:
apt policy gimp*

It generates a lot of non-useful output including help in different languages, but revealed that my repos hold the following from @dos2unix 's list, and also some not on his list

Also, elementary-icon-theme is in the repos.

One I found in the repos was

gimp-plugin-registry

I don't know if @dos2unix knows if this is useful.

HTH

Wizard

If you let us know what kind of image manipulation you want to accomplish, I'm sure we can recommend some suitably straight-forward programs that will do the job. Linux has everything.....from "easy" to "expert".

Mike. ;)

I don't know if it's this way for every distro, but for mine, I had to download a lot of the extra plugings ( about 40 of them ) as separate packages from gimp.

Depending on which disro you're using this is done with dnf, yum, apt, yast2, pacman, or one of the others.
You can see the smudge blur tools in the picture below. But there are dozens of others.

This isn't gimp3, it's just 2.10.36.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240430_081730.png
    Screenshot_20240430_081730.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 28
Things like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-04-30 23-48-33.png
    Screenshot from 2024-04-30 23-48-33.png
    690.7 KB · Views: 26

'Kay. I assume you create these images yourself, yes? So; you'd start with a base image, then add all the other images and text to it, re-size and re-position as required?

Sheesh. See, I know what ya mean, because I do a lot of this kinda thing myself. There's one big snag with this sort of thing in Linux; although there's a TON of available graphics apps, nearly all either concentrate on vector images (SVGs) OR work with various 'layers' (just like GIMP/Photoshop).

Myself, I use a wee Windows app, running under WINE. I found this thing way back in 2007/8, when I was running XP (my last ever Windows). I got SO handy with it, when I came to Linux in '14, I wanted to see if there was a way to run it in Linux.....and that's when I learnt all about WINE. I couldn't find a single Linux app that would perform the same combination of functions.....not without having to use half-a-dozen different apps at the same time. And that seemed kinda silly....

But there's a LOT of folks that are utterly convinced WINE is a security risk, and won't have anything to do with it.....despite the fact that it's completely "sandboxed". The fact is that for some stuff, Windows just IS better than Linux. For a lot of other stuff, Linux will run rings around it! Ya have to balance the pros & cons...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The app in question is called PhotoScape, from a South Korean outfit called Mooi Tech.....and for general messing about and scrabbling around with images, it is the bees knees. Nothing else even comes close. If I want to add a second image to an existing one, I just open it over the top of the original; resize as necessary, then just drag it to where I want it. Couldn't be simpler. Same goes for adding text.

If you don't want to bother with WINE, you could give Pinta a try. It's in the repos of most distros; you'll end up having Mono installed in order for it to run. This is the open-source world's equivalent to the Windows .NET framework, which is what this was originally built to use.

Up to you, of course.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I have wine set up and use PhoXo and Irfan View. I use gimp to make .gif avatars. I used PhoXo and Irfan View to make the background I posted here. Still will look at tutorials for gimp but find them hard to grasp and understand.
Always,
Wildman

Looks the same to me, I don't see anything "game changing" in it. Which means I'll continue using it only for specific cases, like exporting images to DDS for ETS2 mods or converting weird image formats (like avif) to normal formats.
For everything else - making memes, standard image editing - I'll keep using KolourPaint and Pinta.

Looks the same to me, I don't see anything "game changing" in it
Version number is what is a game changer :cool:

Because GIMP is very slow to major releases, only 3rd so far, often times major release does not mean major additions but rather major reduction in bugs and functionality improvements that accumulated over time preventing v3.0

In that sense v3.0 is supposed to be pretty stable and bug free.

I thought KolourPaint may have been the one but nope it does not have a move tool. Pinta would close out and go back to the home page when ever I tried to do a undo. I think I'll just stick with what I have in wine.
Always,
Wildman

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts