Compare Mint with MX

G'day James, Welcome to Linux.org

I only run Linux mint, and have never run MX, so I will watch with interest

I've used both of them and TBH one is no better than the other they both work good.

One is systemd and one is not.

MX is based on Debian and Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu
and Debian.

With MX Linux you have the choice at boot to choose systemd or system init.

Personally I can't tell the difference.

It's kinda like asking is Chevy better than Dodge or Ford.

Apples to oranges and lemons and pears.

Five and a half one way six another.

Create bootable media for each of them and decide which you want to use.

I know I'm not much help and probably not the answers you expected to hear.

Linux is Linux IMO and for the most just about all Linux distros work the same.

Bout the only difference are the desktop environment.

Welcome to the forum @james holmes.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.
1714962654820.gif

I tried it a few years ago on a spare HDD...the first thing I noticed it didn't have a Formatting tool or a Disk Utility which Mint has both. Might be different now...stupid me asked on the MX Forum...let's say it's not the response you'd get here.
t3606.gif

Only you can decide which is best for you...good luck.
1714963345040.gif

if you are looking for tons of support....Linux Mint is the way to go

I have run both, they are both good distributions but compiled with some different components,
Mint is made to be an all encompassing general desktop, MX is aimed more towards the office desktop, so the components are chosen to make it a bit more secure. MX can be better on newer equipment.

In the end, the best one for you is the one you like the look and feel of, and lets you get on with your work. for a newbie doing basic home computing then Mint LMDE or Mint 21 with cinnamon desktop. Offer a good OTB experience.

I've used both of them and TBH one is no better than the other they both work good.

One is systemd and one is not.

MX is based on Debian and Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu
and Debian.

With MX Linux you have the choice at boot to choose systemd or system init.

Personally I can't tell the difference.

It's kinda like asking is Chevy better than Dodge or Ford.

Apples to oranges and lemons and pears.

Five and a half one way six another.

Create bootable media for each of them and decide which you want to use.

I know I'm not much help and probably not the answers you expected to hear.

Linux is Linux IMO and for the most just about all Linux distros work the same.

Bout the only difference are the desktop environment.

Welcome to the forum @james holmes.
Thank you Duck, for the relevant analysis.

I am setting up a "clean" new laptop ---small simple low-cost---for BTC transactions. My teacher says Mint has fewer attached programs than some, and will therefore have less chance of there being badware in there.
joh

My teacher says Mint has fewer attached programs than some, and will therefore have less chance of there being badware in there.
joh
As long as you download and use the software from the distros repository or a know reliable source you shouldn't encounter any badware leastwise I never have.

Thank you. It is my understanding that inherent security is a main attribute of Linux.

It is my understanding that inherent security is a main attribute of Linux.
This is true, all main distributions include a firewall, but it is your choice if you switch it on, there are several rescue applications [time shift being one of the most popular] but as I keep saying, the biggest weakness in all operating systems, is located between the seat back and keypad, Most bugs dont just appear they are let onto your machine by usually dodgy links on social media click bate post

My teacher says Mint has fewer attached programs than some, and will therefore have less chance of there being badware in there.

Now that's funny...haven't heard of badware before.
m01100.gif

You'd be better off with Linux Mint Cinnamon...some of us have been using it for a long time and will help with any problems you might have...good luck.
1715050897073.gif

Members online