VPN Help

One of OP's criteria is 'free'.

I suspect no such thing exists directly.

Ah. Then Tor. It doesnt slow down your internet as hard as it used to have.

There are free services for VPNs but DO! NOT! USE! THOSE!

There are only two business models for free services, which are a) sell user data (exactly the opposite of what a VPN should do) or b) donation based (like Signal), but I don't know of a VPN provider that does this.

I recommend just using tor. Apart from some annoying google captchas, its very usable by now and its three hops not just one :)

Ah. Then Tor. It doesnt slow down your internet as hard as it used to have.

I thought of that but, while the end results are similar, Tor isn't really a VPN.

I haven't tried it lately but it has always slowed my browsing speed. There are people using it to download Torrent files for some reason. Stuff like that hogs the bandwidth at the nodes.

There are people using it to download Torrent files for some reason

xD

Not a VPN

Well its infinitely more anonymous than a VPN, but yes, it does cost speed. I'd recommend you to try it again though, it has gotten MUCH better in recent years.

Pro tip: share some of your internet for a node :)

Pro tip: share some of your internet for a node :)

LOL I live in the sticks. I use a phone to connect to the 'net most of the time. I'm supposed to set up Starlink at some point.

You can share while you dont use it, or use traffic shaping to proritize your own traffic. It even enhances your own privacy to always have some traffic, so your ISP can't see when you use your internet, even if they cant see what you are using (when using a VPN).

You can share while you dont use it, or use traffic shaping to proritize your own traffic.

I don't think you quite understand how little bandwidth I have. If things are running smoothly, I can stream a video while downloading or browsing. We did get satellite service restored but I save that bandwidth for the missus - and that's very limited. Like, 100 GB a month kind of limited.

As you already stated, not everyone is using tor for browsing. there are many other ways to "use the web" lol.

If you can stream a video your connection is fast enough to host a tor node.

AH you don't have unlimited up/download. ok. Then no tor node of course.

Couple of things:
  1. Nothing is truly free. You just may not know how you are paying for it.
  2. There is no such thing as a 100% anonymous VPN. Traces always exist.
  3. If you want as close to true anonymity, you must implement it layers.
  4. To remove local traceability, you need to operate from virtual machines create / used / abolished after use stored on ramdisk. (never persistent magnetic media)
  5. Operate from a public location, never from a place that you can be identified by. (ie Starbucks, library, etc)
  6. The Tor network is known to have rogue law enforcement gateways that log and track traffic and usage. (people have been caught using Tor in this manner)
  7. Many VPNs leak data. Most often via DNS.
  8. Don't obtain DNS from your router or have your router obtain DNS from your ISP.
  9. Use DNSSEC and ensure your OS / application / VPN isn't leaking DNS queries.
The point is. Don't do highly illegal stuff. You can get caught.

I use an anonymous VPNs (PIA), but only on my mobile phone mainly and has nothing to do with illegal activity. Primarily around phone companies tracking / selling my data.

Proton is free … get 1 IP address !
I never tried.
Some VPN are dirt cheap, 3$ US per month if you sign for long deals. But be sure that they support Linux.

Proton is free and run well in Debian 11 (Tested occasionally for 3 years) it also has good speeds and they promise no logs, I believe them

Members online

Latest posts