After trying to recover Ubuntu, my Hdd cannot be accessed!!

4 years is very young. i know it can happen at any time, but 4 years would bring a look of disapproval to most peoples faces.

I know I push Linux Mint ....that is a fact....I do.

There is good reason for me doing that...it is as stable as a rock

Your previous Ubuntu was also reasonably stable....you could also go back. if you are unsure, go to Linux Mint
I'll consider switching to Linux Mint as I can see it's so popular too. Just after I got everything ok.

But I do have a question, could all this mess happened because I used to make my ubuntu theme looks like Mac OS? I mean like the video below or it's not related?

could all this mess happened because I used to make my ubuntu theme looks like Mac OS?
Highly Unlikely.

All he actually did is changed the theme

On a lighter note, he did use Timeshift to take a snapshot of the system before he started.

Kudos to him for that. (Timeshift should always be saved to an external drive....not the main drive)

Theme changes are generally encouraged. The chances of screwing up a system or experiencing what you have as a result of doing that is seriously unlikely.

Can you trust the people in the repair centre ?

G'day @linux newbie 2024 and welcome to linux.org

I have watched the video and I cannot see anything there that could have caused this problem.

In my opinion it is not related.

I am also this site's foremost user of Timeshift.

Did you install Timeshift and take a snapshot with it, and if so, where was that stored?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Highly Unlikely.

All he actually did is changed the theme

On a lighter note, he did use Timeshift to take a snapshot of the system before he started.

Kudos to him for that. (Timeshift should always be saved to an external drive....not the main drive)

Theme changes are generally encouraged. The chances of screwing up a system or experiencing what you have as a result of doing that is seriously unlikely.

Can you trust the people in the repair centre ?
I had a good experience with them before but in changing my screen and hygiene but not so technical issue like that. I hope they're at my expectations this time too.

G'day @linux newbie 2024 and welcome to linux.org

I have watched the video and I cannot see anything there that could have caused this problem.

In my opinion it is not related.

I am also this site's foremost user of Timeshift.

Did you install Timeshift and take a snapshot with it, and if so, where was that stored?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I did install timeshift but I stupidly the backup also was on the same HDD, as I've never thought things will go wrong with the entire disk

I did install timeshift but I stupidly the backup also was on the same HDD, as I've never thought things will go wrong with the entire disk

Have you tried booting to the Ubuntu live session and accessing your Timeshift snapshots...it might work to get your files.

It may be possible to mount the HDD from the live session to copy and paste your files to a Flash Drive or external HDD... if your problem HDD is still working.
m1213.gif

https://www.linux.org/threads/how-t...the-live-session-in-mint-cinnamon-21-1.46520/

1714864811947.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts