Doing my best but Progress is lacking in job, what to do?

Reaction score
Credits
I'm not a lower level helpdesk like escalating everything to others. But I am a upper level product support engineer who solves 70% tickets from my side and escalate 30% to developers. I don't identity myself as a system admin as I don't do much "admin" imho.

I am learning operations engineering and I feel I am learning very little and no progress. For the first 1 year at the job, I felt like I learnt lots of new things, but I've been stuck in this advanced beginner phase where most of the basic things seems alright but actually building things seems hard and impossible.

What can I do to accelerate my learning? I find it really productive when I am studying at libraries in My weekends. It helps to build my mental stamina/fortitude and I credit most of the things I learnt outside the job to the learning(self) on the library.

I run linux on my various virtual machines and keep tinkering with them. I think this is the bare minimum that every linux professionals are doing. I run nginx, LVMs, docker, k8s and keep learning new stuffs but I have felt that I am not reaching a next level of learning.

RHCSA could help but it's out of my budget. And company won't sponsor newbies. They only sponsors managers to learn.

Any guidance is available? If I want to write a bash script that does even slightly challenging things than simple stuffs, I've to use chatgpt and it ruins everything. I remorse using chatgpt because I am not actually learning when using chatgpt. I want to be write anything(I mean to reasonable extent) by myself.

You can start here:

I can provide other info. later....I'm off to work.

Paying $700.00 or more for the RH exams that will give you your Computer Engineer License is expensive for one and two, those exams are often very far away to drive to.
Since your employer won't sponsor newbies than you'll have to learn what you can online.

You could purchase the exam books on Amazon or used elsewhere on the internet.

RHCSA Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9 Certification Study Guide, Eighth Edition

Also, if you could give more details on what exactly you would like to achieve that would help us to help you.

devops-dev=ops(operations engineering)

NoI am solely interested in ops part. Sysadmin part.
Then you're interested to become system administrator.

Note that dev-ops is not universally defined and may include various things, likewise system administrator can be limited in what it does because you might as well be network administrator (or network operator) which relaxes the burden of a system administrator.

system administrator if not limited in his\her job includes also network administration, therefore you'd need to be skilled in administration of operating systems of all kinds not just Linux, but also servers, server technologies as well as Windows and windows server administration.

Unless you job would require you to administer Linux only systems.
Often times a system administrator administers multiple systems not just one thus you'll also need to be network administrator and have skill in that.

Which of these things exactly do you need to boost your skills?

system linux only.
Start by memorizing Linux commands (command line programs)

You don't need to fully know how to use them but you do need to know what they are used for and how they're called, so that when you need to do something you know which tool to use.

You should be familiar with at least 200 most commonly used terminal commands (only their use case not details and all their options)

Next step is to learn abut systemd, again not all details but only high level overview so that when you need to do something with it you know what it does and how systemd is organized and how it works.

Next step would be to boost your networking skills, ex. IP addressing, DNS (including encrypted DNS) and how to set up etc; routing and routing tables, protocols etc.

Next step get skilled with grub and grub options, and anything related to manipulating boot like efibootmgr tool

This is bare minimum a system admin needs to know.

Ah I see. Thanks for the info.
If this completes your thread, kindly mark your thread solved by going to your first post and edit it and type Solved in the title line.

Best wishes to success in learning the en devours of the skills and techniques in the system admin department.:)

Cheers,
Alex

Members online