1. IMPORTANT - 11/13/2015: In light of a possible breach we have scrubbed all passwords. You will need to request a password reset through the site. Click here for more information.

Multi room audio with .jar bash scripts

Discussion in 'Command Line' started by Buntubadger, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Buntubadger

Buntubadger New Member

Aug 23, 2013
    I am trying to set up a multi room audio solution which I have successfully completed using this guide: Running multiple Softsqueeze streams from one PC

(sorry to add entire post but I can't paste links)

however it uses windows as the guide, I want to use ubuntu as the server for reliability but when the guide gives examples of creating batch files, I understand that ubuntu would not be able to understand these.

Here is a copy of the example batch file:

@echo off
    start /min "PC Speakers" java -Dserver=localhost:9000 -Dskins=headless -Daudio.mixer="Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)" -Dmacaddress=f7:25:9d:78:9f:66 -jar Softsqueeze.jar

how would I convert this so ubuntu would understand which softsqueeze instance to map to which soundcard?

Is it possible, the guide mentions that it is but without much guidance,

I tried to follow someones advice and create a shell script with these contents:

java -Dserver=localhost:9000 -Dskins=headless -Daudio.mixer="Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)" -Dmacaddress=f7:25:9d:78:9f:66 -jar Softsqueeze.jar

But when I try to start the script from within the same folder as the softsqueeze.jar I get failed to execute child process no such file or directory, although I am running this from within the same directory.

Would anyone have an idea how to get this working so that I can use the 5 different soundcards as I really need it up and running. It works with no issues under windows, I know that java runtime is installed correctly because I can start the softsqueeze.jar from command line with no problems.

Looking forward to an answer,

Thanks in advance,

2. arochester

arochester Super Moderator Staff Member

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm not sure that I'm full up to speed on this. I have a "Logitech Media Server" , software, on my PC to stream to a Sony SMC-N100, hardware, on my TV. It is available here: http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download and it has a Debian/Ubuntu install.

Look at the link "Running multiple Softsqueeze streams from one PC" http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350118/running-multiple-softsqueeze-streams-from-one-pc . Strangely when I click the link "Squeezebox server" it takes me to the Logitech Media Server

Look at the link "How to install SoftSqueeze on Ubuntu" http://www.winko-erades.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26:how-to-install-so.. . It mentions that you have to have a HARDWARE SqueezeCenter Server. Do you have this?

A confusion of Squeezes?

The Logitech Media Server just works for me. There are no batch files at all.