Cant install any distro on my machine.

B

Barbwier

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800-224 512mb RAM and 40GB HD.

The only distros i could boot are all very old and obsolet. Im a steel a newbie on Linux.
So i ask for hellp. I lost count on how manny distros i tried and nothing.
After Xorg 7.6 all i get i black scean and no boot. Distros like Puppy Classic that hast xorg 7.3 does boot but wen i update the distro the pack includes Xorg 7.6 the distro stops booting. That happens for almoust virtuali all distros.
Can you point somme current distro that run smothe in this machine and has no problem on botting?

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800-224 512mb RAM and 40GB HD.

The only distros i could boot are all very old and obsolet. Im a steel a newbie on Linux.
So i ask for hellp. I lost count on how manny distros i tried and nothing.
After Xorg 7.6 all i get i black scean and no boot. Distros like Puppy Classic that hast xorg 7.3 does boot but wen i update the distro the pack includes Xorg 7.6 the distro stops booting. That happens for almoust virtuali all distros.
Can you point somme current distro that run smothe in this machine and has no problem on botting?

If you don't mind learning about the CLI and how to use it, then Arch Linux is okay, or Ubuntu server. Other than that, your hardware is probably too outdated to be compatible with most of what's out there today.

Can you please post the output of:
Code:
grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

You can switch to a terminal screen with [CTRL]+[ALT]+[F1] (or [F2-F6]), and login from there.

EDIT: Also check out this HOWTO, at point 3. Instead of vi, you could also use pico or nano which is among the standard editors with most distros.

Members online