Government to overhaul privacy laws, including opting out of advertising, a right to be forgotten, and new rules for small businesses (Australia)

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Sounds like a good idea! :)

All governments should get together and come up with an international solution, the main protagonist will not change for one country, they would rather block access to said countries population rather than loosing out internationally or the cost of re-programming to meet each country's local laws

edit
if the 58 commonwealth countries could come to an agreement on cybersecurity, that's something like a third of the world's population then the protagonist would have to really think again, then if the EU or the US adopted the same rules then its game over.

Last edited:
There was a time here in the US, when government officials were not allowed to do any gerrymandering.
Mostly they weren't supposed to have any business interests, but even if they did, they couldn't pass any
laws to help those specific business's.

All that went out the window a few decades back. The lobbyists and special interest group own the politicians
here in the US. Most don't even deny it. Large corporations run this country as much as any politician.

Until that changes, I don't see any privacy acts or ad protection happening at a political level.
I'm an old guy, and as technology has "advanced" (I'm hesitant to use that word here ) it seems
it has gotten worse instead of better. The first browsers didn't have "cookies". The first cell phones didn't
have GPS tracking. I've never used Siri or Alexa... ever, but even so, things I talk about with my wife
show up in ads on my phone, and even here on linux.org. Even if I've never searched for these things in a
browser. Many new cars have GPS tracking built in. If I want to use the McDonalds app to buy
a burger and fries, I have to give them my email, and address.. why? Why do they need that if I never
use delivery?

We have credit card tracking, cell phone tracking, browser tracking, satellite tracking, GPS tracking,
and even vehicle tracking. A lot of this is done for security reasons, I get it. But then, if I quit using
technology all together can I hide off the grid? ... and really, what does security have to do with ad tracking?

Last edited:
There was a time here in the US, when government officials were not allowed to do any gerrymandering.
Mostly they weren't supposed to have any business interests, but even if they did, they couldn't pass any

All that went out the window a few decades back. The lobbyists and special interest group own the politicians
here in the US. Most don't even deny it. Large corporations run this country as much as any politician.

Until that changes, I don't see any privacy acts or ad protection happening at a political level.
I'm an old guy, and as technology has "advanced" (I'm hesitant to use that word here ) it seems
it has gotten worse instead of better. The first browsers didn't have "cookies". The first cell phones didn't
have GPS tracking. I've never used Siri or Alexa... ever, but even so, things I talk about with my wife
show up in ads on my phone, and even here on linux.org. Even if I've never searched for these things in a
browser. Many new cars have GPS tracking built in. If I want to use the McDonalds app to buy
a burger and fries, I have to give them my email, and address.. why? Why do they need that if I never
use delivery?

We have credit card tracking, cell phone tracking, browser tracking, satellite tracking, GPS tracking,
and even vehicle tracking. A lot of this is done for security reasons, I get it. But then, if I quit using
technology all together can I hide off the grid? ... and really, what does security have to do with ad tracking?

I find this an interesting topic to dwell on..perhaps you shouldn't if you are paranoid but I've learned to swallow that fear, this is the modern age, and it is hard to not be tracked by your government, or anybody at that. (for most places)
I have been meaning to look into things like this to see how we got here and why we have done what we did as well as how this issue(or whatever you want to call it) will evolve over coming years.

Does anybody have any sites or articles I could use to read on this? My curiosity is piqued.

You are spot on.
Google is way to powerful and donates to much money (ahem cough) to Government agencies and lobbyist.
Let not forget the fines Google currently pays for the Google vans driving around collecting user data from unsecured wireless networks.
Google ain't scared of the Government and keep in mind the Government uses Google so I don't see nothing here in the US changing as things just don't work that way these days.
I'm all about standing behind my Government but lets face it Government ethics sucks and just don't seem to have the well being of the common folks in their interest anymore.

So how about those camps Australia is building? Any comments? I'm sure they're just for "public safety" of course.

Members online