Dual booting Linux and Windows 7

what I suggest you do is take out the HDD and smash it with a hammer until it's in microscopic bits.

Oh wait. Don't do that just yet. Use Clonezilla to copy your data from HDD to SSD.

THEN you can smash the HDD with a hammer.

Wait. Don't do that either. You can actually use it for backups. Imagine. Since it's spinning rust, it will not go bad like an SSD which, if disconnected for a number of years, will lose its charge.

Old HDD make perfect media for backups. You can use that USB based gizmo where it plugs it. Both 3.5" and 2.5".

what I suggest you do is take out the HDD and smash it with a hammer until it's in microscopic bits.

Oh wait. Don't do that just yet. Use Clonezilla to copy your data from HDD to SSD.

THEN you can smash the HDD with a hammer.

Wait. Don't do that either. You can actually use it for backups. Imagine. Since it's spinning rust, it will not go bad like an SSD which, if disconnected for a number of years, will lose its charge.

Old HDD make perfect media for backups. You can use that USB based gizmo where it plugs it. Both 3.5" and 2.5".
OK. I won't take the hammer to it ...... yet. It's actually working .... well, somewhat OK. You have to remember that my expectations are low; after all my main computer (desktop) is an OLD Comaq running Windows 7. The only thing saving it is that the hard drive is an SSD, so it boots up in about 10 seconds, petty good.
So ..... Clonezilla is a the backup app of choie for Linux?
... john

Clonezilla creates a perfect clone of a source HDD/SSD. So if you get a SSD and want to preserve data off your old disk, you can employ it for that purpose. An SSD is a solid state, so it's not a hard drive.

If you have a spare HDD drive, you can buy a cheap USB enclosure for it, and as @etcetera said - use it for backup. You can do a clonezilla clone, sure, but If you will stay with Linux, and use it as daily driver, you don't have to - If you use Mint, there is a cool tool called "Timeshift" you can use. And it's with graphical interface :)

Clonezilla creates a perfect clone of a source HDD/SSD. So if you get a SSD and want to preserve data off your old disk, you can employ it for that purpose. An SSD is a solid state, so it's not a hard drive.
Hi etcetera,
Thanks for the information. Yes, I guess an SSD is more like a flash drive; although I think of it as a hard drive.
..... john

If you have a spare HDD drive, you can buy a cheap USB enclosure for it, and as @etcetera said - use it for backup. You can do a clonezilla clone, sure, but If you will stay with Linux, and use it as daily driver, you don't have to - If you use Mint, there is a cool tool called "Timeshift" you can use. And it's with graphical interface :)
Thanks for the information!
.... john

Latest posts