Installing a CentOS Web Server

A

animaguy

I am interested in learning all aspects of setting up and deploying a CentOS Server.

I have found two server tutorials, the Perfect Server Tutorial and the wiki.centos tutorial.

I have questions regarding those tutorials.

Has anyone on this forum ever succesfully used those tutorials?

And are there any other tutorials that members of this tutorial can recommend?

Many tutos goes fine. It's all depends of your.skills. Follow the official ones is better. Hope helps.

I have followed the perfect server tutorial and successfully setup a server before as a learning experience. I found that tutorial to be a bit long however it does show you the basic programs needed for a proper working server.

Depending on the Server control panel you plan to use you might not need to go that far however, there are many install scripts available that will give you a relatively good working server with far less work.

berks,

thanks for the input. i am definitely interested in your experience with the perfect server tutorial.

but before i go there i want to elaborate on what i have done so far.

first i have been getting great advice all over the place from different forums about building a centos web server. however, i find it fascinating the response i got from the centos.org forum. if i have read the response correctly it seems that there is a demographic of members on the centos.org forum

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/index.php

who are not openly supportive of the perfect server tutorial.

At this point, I am neutral on the subject and I just want toe learn as much as possible about CentOS and learning to build a web server is just one of the many sub topics.

FYI, I am currently studying the default intalled packages and group packages on the desktop version.

i have two isos downloaded: the minimal install iso and the desktop iso.

the desktop iso seems to work fine for the wiki.centos tutorial. the problem i am still trying to conquer on the wiki.centos tutorial is configuring the httpd.conf.

but i am not satisfied with that tutorial alone.

i want to be able to complete the perfect server tutorial eventually as well. however, i ran into an issue on the very first page of the perfect server tutorial.

actually there are a few problems. the broadband internet service i have is a dynamic ip address to start with.

the web server is only going to host one wordpress website and the i it is not necessary for the website to be online 24/7. so if the ip address changes at any unanticipated time i would probably just change the betwork setting to reflect the new ip address manually in a worse case scenario.

i purchased the domain animaguy.com from register.com and it was suggested to me via a forum that if my internet service did not provide a static ip address, i should consider pointing my domain to a service that caters to dynamic ip addresses such as dnsexit.com. this is what i currently have done but i can always point it back to register.com if necessary.

i am interested in what your thoughts are regarding this matter.

also, when i install centos using the desktop iso, the installation wizard doesnt allow me to configure the network like it says on the perfect server tutorial. so if i use the desktop iso to follow the perfect server tutorial i will have to manually configure the network after the installation is complete.

i also noticed that the wiki.centos tutorial never instructs the user to manually configure the network to build a server. and when i use the minimal installation iso. i do not know the consequences of adding a dns nameserver that runs underneath a dynamic ip address.

furthermore, if while using the minimal installation iso i skip the network configurations the command prompt doesnt seem to work properly in that it cant perform yum commands that otherwise work on the desktop iso and the minimal installation iso seems to be offline.

Question:
is it necessary to manually configure the network, especially since i have a dynamic ip address service with my internet providers?

any input is definitely appreciated

Please bear with me as I am also new to web servers and Linux on a whole. I also had setup my server utilizing a Dynamic Ip, my workaround was using a program called ddclient to change the Ip my domain resolved to whenever it was changed by my ISP.

I should think it will be necessary to manual configure your network especially if you have the server situated behind a router. I don't think it will be necessary for you to run a DNS server however; if your domain provider allows you to create A records, you should be able to point your domain to port 80 on your server using DDclient and an A record setup on your registrar.

berks, thanks for the quick response.

so you were able to get a website online with the perfect server tutorial?

if so which centos version?

also when did you first set up the web server?

is it still running?

if not, have you tried other methods of setting up a web server?

I was able to follow the perfect server tutorial and got as far as having their control panel up and running. I was never able to get my website up with that however, and so I went on to trying various different tutorials. I think in the end I settled with using CentOS 6.2 and kloxo.

Kloxo has an install script and as such all u really have to do is allow it to run and it will setup your server with default settings that should work in most situations. It helps if you actually know what is being done at each step so you can make changes as you see fit but the default settings were enough for me to get a wordpress blog up and running in about 2 hours.

The server has since been shutdown as it was basically done just for the experience and I have since moved on to attempting a LFS build.

I didn't get what exactly he wants to do. if he want to install a webserver he can get apache packeges,make a repo of it and install it typing command "yum install http*" or if he wants to install LAMP server he have to install
apche
PHP
my-sql.

I am interested in learning all aspects of setting up and deploying a CentOS Server.

I have found two server tutorials, the Perfect Server Tutorial and the wiki.centos tutorial.

I have questions regarding those tutorials.

Has anyone on this forum ever succesfully used those tutorials?

And are there any other tutorials that members of this tutorial can recommend?
Centos is my Distro of choice, web servers are relatively straight forward to setup.

I would suggest installing the Desktop version if you are new to Centos.
I find No-iP Free DNS works great, clean tutorials for DUC install.
I can post a copy of a standered httpd.conf file config if you like.

Members online