What next.

CommonCuriosity

Reaction score
Credits
Ok So I am in my last week of Linux fundamentals in college. The course was taught on Fedora20, which I realise is old. I don't feel like I learned a practical knowledge of everyday use of Linux. Ok so I am putting Ubuntu on usb right now, I know how to get my Lenovo Legion y520 to boot from USB, and I am going to install Ubuntu onto an external 2tb SSD. I like the idea I learned in class about creating different partions for different directories, But am not sure exactly how to do it. And after I am all set up there, What packages am I going to want to install. I am wet behind the ears, just learning, trying to practice, wouldn't mind KDE or Gnome but I want to learn my way on the command line. Like, how do I get on the internet from the command line??

Welcome the short boot menu on Lenovo is usually tickle F12 as you switch on

Hello @CommonCuriosity,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum.
In ubuntu to make partitions you want select manual from the partitioning page on the installer or you can use gparted and creat the partition before time and tell the installer which ones you want it to use. You will need at least the following partition for an ext 4 file system. / (root) /home and maybe a swap partition depending on if you are on a laptop and want Hibernation.
Good luck and enjoy the journey.
This page may be of help to you.
and this page

Last edited:
Like, how do I get on the internet from the command line??
Connecting to internet entirely from command line is fun thing to practice.
You'll need to be proficient with ip tool and nmcli tool.
And you also want to learn about NetworkManger, systemd-networkd and networking services.

You might also want to learn where are networking configuration files stored to confirm everything is as it should be.

Once you master these things you're good to go to handle networking from command line.

A step further is to learn general stuff about networking, such as protocols, IP addressing, routing etc.