Removing Pesky Desktop Icons.

JohnJ

Credits
Is there a way to stop desktop icons from appearing the first time I open a folder in File Manager? Once they are on my desktop I have to Unmount them to get them off the screen. I like a clean and mean desktop without these icons messing up my desktop.
1715334898068.png

Just a thought.....the 'files' you are opening in file manager which automatically mount and then are shown on the desktop, are from the "device" area of trhe file manager.....Yes ? (see screenshot below)

1715386927651.png

The inclusions in that red boxed area are not ordinary folders.....they are 'mountable' devices...hdd, ssd's, external drives, etc

It is an expected action for them to show on your desktop as mounted after clicking on one......there is a "assumption" on the part of the OS that you wish to work further with that drive etc

You will not get an automatic mount etc anywhere by clicking on any of the actual folders above that red boxed area.....eg if you were to click on Downloads, it will simply open the downloads folder....it will not put an icon on the desktop.

An additional thought......with the icons still showing on your desktop.....
1715388031375.png

if you were to click on menu, type in Timeshift....and right click on timehsift and select 'add to panel' ...That will place an icon in the panel beside the others there....
1715388179863.png

You can then rearrange those icons simply by dragging them into different positions if you wish

My panel looks like the below....
1715388276884.png

....so there is plenty of room, and as you say a clean desktop is a good look

The next step on from this is a second monitor. Food for thought.

Just a thought.....the 'files' you are opening in file manager which automatically mount and then are shown on the desktop, are from the "device" area of trhe file manager.....Yes ? (see screenshot below)

View attachment 19852
The inclusions in that red boxed area are not ordinary folders.....they are 'mountable' devices...hdd, ssd's, external drives, etc

It is an expected action for them to show on your desktop as mounted after clicking on one......there is a "assumption" on the part of the OS that you wish to work further with that drive etc

You will not get an automatic mount etc anywhere by clicking on any of the actual folders above that red boxed area.....eg if you were to click on Downloads, it will simply open the downloads folder....it will not put an icon on the desktop.
OK. Got it.

1949 Sunbeam !!

Definitely Impressive !! ....nearly as old as me.

Probably takes 3 strong men to lift it... I used to own a Triumph Bonneville....early 1960's

I like desktop items: last time i was using standard ubuntu, there was some issue putting things on the desktop. Does anyone know what im talking about?

I like desktop items: last time i was using standard ubuntu, there was some issue putting things on the desktop. Does anyone know what im talking about?

In Linux Mint Cinnamon...to create a Desktop shortcut...go to Menu select the icon right click...choose Add to Desktop.

To remove the shortcut...right click choose Move to Trash or Delete.
Now you see it...
1715475861477.png

Now you don't...
1715475896246.png

Don't worry...the icon is still in the Menu.
1715476002558.gif

Members online

Latest posts

Back