Problem with WiFi failing to reconnect automatically in Xubuntu (Ubuntu 24.04) [SOLVED]

Freepoorman

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone I had to do a bit of back and forth to solve a problem I had with my WiFi failing to reconnect automatically sometimes on Xubuntu (Ubuntu 24.04), and since I found the solution, I would like to share it for anyone else in the future browsing the forum.
I do realize that there was a Kubuntu user with a similar problem back in 2021 (Aug_24_2021), but I am not sure if it is the same problem or if they ever got it resolved...

Basically I just had to instruct NetworkManager to take control of the network interfaces. That solved my problem.

Here is a step by step how to do it:
---------------------------------------------

1. Open a terminal.

2. Run this command to open the NetworkManager.conf file: (Replace "nano" with your preferred text editor.)
```
sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
```
3. Find the line that says managed=false under the [ifupdown] section and change it to managed=true:
Code:
   [ifupdown]
   managed=true
4. Save the file and exit the text editor (in nano, press Ctrl + X, then Y to confirm saving changes, and Enter to confirm the file name).

5. Restart the NetworkManager service for the changes to take effect:
Code:
   sudo service NetworkManager restart

That's it. Done!

If you are curious how this fixed the problem, I found this information that explains it:

By setting managed=true under the [ifupdown] section, you've instructed NetworkManager to take control of the network interfaces, which includes managing your WiFi connection.

Here's why this change can help with the issues you were experiencing:

- Automatic Reconnection: When NetworkManager is set to manage the interfaces, it should automatically reconnect to known WiFi networks when they are in range and available. This includes handling the reconnection process after a disconnection or system wake-up.

- Consistency in Management: With managed=true, NetworkManager is the primary tool for managing network interfaces, which can lead to more consistent behavior across different network scenarios.

- Integration with System Services: NetworkManager's integration with other system services can ensure that network-related tasks, such as DNS resolution and DHCP, are handled correctly, which can indirectly improve the stability of your WiFi connection.

Members online