Help for choiche a good Linux distro for AMD cpu

Franzzz

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Linux world but despite this I've already tried 5 different distros looking for the right one. In fact I tried Ubuntu, Opensuse, Mint and Pop Os but I always had problems with overheating and fan noise. My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 5 pro with a ryzen 7 7735hs and a radeon 680m. In all these distros I have always had problems, for example when I used discord and transmitted my screen the laptop overheated and the fans made a lot of noise or it often happens even with videos on YouTube. Today for example I was reading a pdf on Pop Os and I think that while the store was doing some updates, however after a while I realized that the PC was really hot around 60/65 degrees (maybe even 70) then when I killed the process and it cooled down.
But I don't understand how with such a simple operation of updating and reading a very light PDF it can heat up so much also because on Windows it would have carried out these activities without going under any strain, remaining with the fans off and with a temperature around 35/40 degrees . I honestly don't understand why. I think I'm the only unfortunate person having these problems because I would really like to learn Linux. To be precise, these problems do not exist in the slightest on Windows, in fact with the Microsoft operating system the computer is very cool, the vents are totally turned off and it maintains a temperature of 35/40 degrees and only heats up with really heavy operations such as gaming . I hope you can help me, have a good day. P.S now I'll look for another distro (maybe I'll try Manjaro also if I know it's not recommended for newbies)

eapad 5 pro with a ryzen 7 7735hs
Overheating with this CPU is a common complaint when under load [including using windows] the max working temp is around 95 deg [but not recommended,]
Looking at the AMD Specs for your CPU, it should have an adjustable TDP rating from 35 watts to 54 watts.

look in in BIOS , you should be able to set the TDP to between 35 and 54 watts. That will make your processor run cooler.

Last edited:
I would use either Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora You said you are new so you need to stick to those that are easy. Kali and Manjaro being for more advanced people you need to STAY AWAY from those as a beginner.

Trust us experienced people, stick with one of those I mentioned.

Today for example I was reading a pdf on Pop Os and I think that while the store was doing some updates, however after a while I realized that the PC was really hot around 60/65 degrees (maybe even 70) then when I killed the process and it cooled down.
Y'know, without being insulting, you sound like somebody that thinks when CPUs get to 60-70 they're about to melt!

This was certainly true of the Pentium 4 generation or around that sort of time frame. Process nodes were relatively large, voltages were a lot higher than they are now, cooling solutions were NOT that effective, and Intel, in particular, were running up against the peculiar side-effects of electromigration for the first time......those old single-core/early dual-core processors really cranked out the heat, and internal CPU cutouts/throttling, etc, were nowhere near as efficient as they are now.

You have to realise; modern low-power CPUs sip a few watts at most, yet are designed to be comfortable running at or near their max of perhaps 95-100C for hours at a time. That said, I'm aware that the Ryzen 7s have garnered a reputation as"fire-hazards" in a fairly short time!

M'colleague's advice about TDP adjustment in the BIOS should make a big difference, and is worth looking into. AMDs often have a lot of adjustments in the BIOS that affect stuff many wouldn't even think of; my old Athlon 64 X2 dual-core needed the HyperTransport bus's speed cranking up, since the Bios upgrade I needed to apply over that for the previous single-core Athlon 64 had it set at just 500MHz....winding it up to its max of 1200 MHz made a hell of a difference!

Mike. ;)

Overheating with this CPU is a common complaint when under load [including using windows] the max working temp is around 95 deg [but not recommended,]
Looking at the AMD Specs for your CPU, it should have an adjustable TDP rating from 35 watts to 54 watts.

look in in BIOS , you should be able to set the TDP to between 35 and 54 watts. That will make your processor run cooler.
I don't have this option in the Lenovo bios. Do you know if I can do it through windows or linux?

Y'know, without being insulting, you sound like somebody that thinks when CPUs get to 60-70 they're about to melt!

This was certainly true of the Pentium 4 generation or around that sort of time frame. Process nodes were relatively large, voltages were a lot higher than they are now, cooling solutions were NOT that effective, and Intel, in particular, were running up against the peculiar side-effects of electromigration for the first time......those old single-core/early dual-core processors really cranked out the heat, and internal CPU cutouts/throttling, etc, were nowhere near as efficient as they are now.

You have to realise; modern low-power CPUs sip a few watts at most, yet are designed to be comfortable running at or near their max of perhaps 95-100C for hours at a time. That said, I'm aware that the Ryzen 7s have garnered a reputation as"fire-hazards" in a fairly short time!

M'colleague's advice about TDP adjustment in the BIOS should make a big difference, and is worth looking into. AMDs often have a lot of adjustments in the BIOS that affect stuff many wouldn't even think of; my old Athlon 64 X2 dual-core needed the HyperTransport bus's speed cranking up, since the Bios upgrade I needed to apply over that for the previous single-core Athlon 64 had it set at just 500MHz....winding it up to its max of 1200 MHz made a hell of a difference!

Mike. ;)
unfortunately there is no this option in the bios, do you know how I can fix the tdp in another way?

I don't know if this could be important but when I use for example the sensors command in the terminal on my old PC with an Intel the CPU temperature comes out and all the cores are also listed (with their temperature). When I do it on the PC with Ryzen the CPU temperature is not listed at all and this also happens with other commands such as psensor.

the Ryzen 7 series are clocked to the max and then locked, but you can under volt them,
sorry I dont have the time to explain in full, but if you scroll through the following article to undervoting and have a read it will put you on the right track

the Ryzen 7 series are clocked to the max and then locked, but you can under volt them,
sorry I dont have the time to explain in full, but if you scroll through the following article to undervoting and have a read it will put you on the right track

I installed the application from the article but it says that my processor is not supported maybe because it is mounted on a laptop.

Members online