Moving from UNIX to Linux

etcetera

Reaction score
Credits
I have been a UNIX sysadmin for a long time and transitioned to Linux admin in the last decade or so. I can't say I have been thrilled with it. I've always thought of UNIX as the real thing and of Linux as a cheap aftermarket imitation, mainly cost-driven. But "Real" Unix is very slow and very expensive. That's why HP-UX and Solaris went away for the most part. For a while I had hope for Solaris x86. Even ran it on my personal box for years, exclusively (No Microsoft).

However I have come to see the benefits of it and embraced it. Runs on any hardware. Does not need expensive proprietary hardware from Sun or HP. Support communities. Et cetera.

I am in DC area, if there any other former UNIX admins who moved to Linux sysadmin, let's connect and engage in culinary activities.

SCO Forever!!!!

(just kidding)

Welcome aboard.

I think I fit into that Dilbert cartoon about a condescending old Unix guy. (though I am neither old nor condescending but it's funny anyway). /joke

An oldie, but a goodie :cool:
dilbert-unix.png

This is one of my favorites too. :oops::eek:
dilbert-unix2.png

I have been a UNIX sysadmin for a long time and transitioned to Linux admin in the last decade or so.
I guess you're already familiar with Slackware, right? 'Tis said that it is the most Unix-like of the distros, so you might find it easier than I do! ;) Welcome!

I am in DC area, if there any other former UNIX admins who moved to Linux sysadmin, let's connect and engage in culinary activities.
It sounds like you're ambitious enough to start a LUG! Though you might Google around first... I'd guess a big metro area like that may already have one or two groups that you might hook up with instead of starting a new one. Good luck!

Last edited:
I haven't seen the second one. Pure Dilbert.

I did HP-UX for a looong time. I knew it was headed nowhere but people were hard to find, rates were getting higher and higher, although you always had to move for the highest rate.. like so, we need a person in Chicago - when? Yesterday. How much. Here is how much.
They still have a few HP-UX holdouts here and there. And people are about as hard to find as mainframe ones. Sun Solaris was another big kid on the block, maybe even number one at one time. Kind of amazing Linux displaced them all. The writing on the wall was, adapt or perish. Although I am glad I did. If you suggest a proprietary HP or Sun solution, they would look at you like crazy. It no longer has any advantages over Linux.

At times I wonder how this Solaris or HP command translates into Linux. Sometimes there is no direct translation. I wish someone would port the ioscan command found in HP-UX. Linux kind of comes close but not really, there really isn't a direct port. If you used it, you would know what I mean.

One example is, I worked with LVM for a long time, mainly dealing with storage -- EMC, Hitachi, various disk arrays, RAID work. Always with Oracle DB and stuff. They are always hungry for space. LVM was essential. Well, Linux expanded the LVM set impressively. Has all kind of options that the original doesn't have.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts