Laptop Problem.

wm460

Reaction score
Credits
Long time ago A mate of mine made the big switch from windoze to Linux, I was waiting for him to get everything sorted out then get him to help me.
Unfortunally he gave up on the oxygen habit.
I mentioned to his widow (she doesn't use computers only has a landline.) that I was trying to install Linux on my computer, she gave me his laptop, when I got home I plugged it in and let it charge over night. When I tried to switch it on the lights on the computer came on but the screen didn't light up.
Is there any to get the screen to work?
It is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300

Good morning,
do you not see anything flash on the screen?
the first and easiest test is as you switch on enter the bios, on a tosh to do this , as you switch on keep tickling the F2 key, if you get the bios screen, that would then indicate it's not a screen fault, do you know what Linux distribution he was running? [this may help diagnosis]
if the bios comes up then next step would be as you switch on keep esc or shift key down [you may need to try both as it will depend on the age of the machine if it has an old type Bios or UEFI] If you get the Grub screen up then there is a chance of getting it up and running, if not it may need to see an engineer,
how long since it was last used, it may also have an outdated version of Linux that will need replacing [its fairly simple]

Oh, another thought some Toshes have a screen lock.. Switch on and hold FN and press F5

I don't get a flicker on the screen, :mad:
Its been over 10 years since it was last switched on.
I could be wrong but I think it was Mint.

You'd probably be best to just download new Linux Mint and burn it to a USB drive with Balena Etcher. Then pop it into a port and install it over the top of the old stuff, so it's wiped. Unless you need any files on there, that is.
Others on here may have better ideas, though.

Staff online

Members online