DDoS Attacks And The End User

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
I thought very hard about where to start this thread!
I suspect I may not have anything to worry about, but I'm not qualified to make that determination.

After not being about to visit Linux.org and finding out about DDoS attacks I did some reading. According to this webpage article, What Is DDOS Attack?

"Botnets are the primary way distributed denial-of-service-attacks are carried out. The attacker will hack into computers or other devices and install a malicious piece of code, or malware, called a bot. Together, the infected computers form a network called a botnet. The attacker then instructs the botnet to overwhelm the victim's servers and devices with more connection requests than they can handle."

Do I need to concern myself with malware on my laptop???

I've been using Linux since 2010, and exclusively (no Windows) since 2014, and never had to.

Do I need to concern myself with malware on my laptop?
DDos attacks are made on main servers, the idea is to overload them and cause a crash [as you have seen] nominally these attacks are on web servers to cause disruption,
Like @wizardfromoz since swapping to Linux I have never had any malware problems

I thought very hard about where to start this thread!
I suspect I may not have anything to worry about, but I'm not qualified to make that determination.

After not being about to visit Linux.org and finding out about DDoS attacks I did some reading. According to this webpage article, What Is DDOS Attack?

"Botnets are the primary way distributed denial-of-service-attacks are carried out. The attacker will hack into computers or other devices and install a malicious piece of code, or malware, called a bot. Together, the infected computers form a network called a botnet. The attacker then instructs the botnet to overwhelm the victim's servers and devices with more connection requests than they can handle."

Machines from which DDOS attacks are being launched are called zombies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_(computing)

You are unlikely to be target of DDOS but we're all likely to be zombies, that is, our computers compromised and used to conduct DDOS.

Hackers do this to hide the trail and also to increase bandwidth required for DDOS.

went down just before 13.00 utc with over 1600 guest, ..looks like some idiot is after us again

Many websites nowdays have cloudflare's DDOS protection, I think it's time our Admin enables this feature on hosting provider.
If that happens you will get those annoying solve several puzzles before you can access the website.

If that happens you will get those annoying solve several puzzles before you can access the website.
It doesn't have to be so, the protection from cloudflare can be as simple as ticking a checkmark.
It can be even without that, all you have to do is wait 2-3 secodns without doing anything.
But it can be complex and ask to solve captcha.

I think 2nd version would be sufficient for DDOS protection, captcha is to fend of spammers.