Zorin OS getting frozen

Reaction score
Credits
Whenever I keep my zorin idle go a few minutes , and then if I do any activity it suddenly gets frozen
And then I have to hard shut it down and it happened twice.
Although it's zorin OS lite
Is there a solution, please help.

Welcome to Linux.org

You will need to supply the specs of your pc/laptop/tablet etc etc

As much info as you can please.

Based on your post here, these are some of the specs of your laptop:
Intel Pentium 4 g620 2.0 GHz
4 GB of ram
320 GB hard disk HDD

What year did you buy this laptop? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit? What version of Zorin OS that you've downloaded?

Its 64 bit
Zorin OS lite (15)
Intel Pentium 4 g620 2.0 GHz
4 GB of ram
320 GB hard disk HDD
I actually don't know the age of this laptop but it's atleast 6-7 years old

If you refer back to the op's original post, in one of my replies i stated..
""It has a base end 64 bit processor and is now about 10 years old, although it will run almost any distributions, I would be inclined to look at those with lightweight desktops""

Bwiz

So is there a way to resolve the problem or should I change my distribution
(Although it's zorin OS lite)

As you said checked the installation medium for defects and it said it has zero errors and also the final installation went smoothly without any errors
Then what could possibly go wrong

With 4GB of RAM, you shouldn't really have trouble like this. "Freezing" is likely due to one or two causes (or both): memory filling up or CPU being overwhelmed. Both of these are easily checked with the top command. This tool runs continuously and you'll need to use CTRL + C when you're ready to stop it. Boot up fresh, run top in a terminal and watch it for awhile. Get familiar with the screen (upper and lower) and what it shows you. Watch the %MEM and %CPU values changing in the lower section and what apps are using those resources. Start to run your favorite programs and keep watching the top screen. If you find one particular app to be a problem... can you remove it and use another?

By "remove it and use another"... I meant any problem app that you might find with top, not the entire OS. But you did have some issues installing Zorin, so a reinstall can't hurt either.

If you do reinstall Zorin, and if it will be the only OS, I would suggest that you just use all the default settings and "use entire disk" instead of creating partitions yourself manually. I would also not use LVM or any encryption... just a very basic installation.

By "remove it and use another"... I meant any problem app that you might find with top, not the entire OS
I didn't meant the entire OS tho but actually the problem is solved
I had a partially installed package and managed to remove it and the OS is properly working
Also I had a basic installation
No LVM
no encryption
And also I didn't created any partitions

Members online