zorin linux installation on a hdd (no dual boot) with legacy mode on.

andrewysk

Reaction score
Credits
hii,

i want to do zorin linux installation on a hdd (no dual boot) with legacy mode on.
at partitioning area, i faced this :

The partition table format in use on your disks normally requires you to create a separate partition for boot loader code.
This partition should be marked for use as a Reserved BIOS boot area and should be at least 1MB in size.
Note that this is not the same as a partition mounted on /boot.
If you do not go back to the partitioning menu and correct this error, boot loader installation may fail later, although it may still be possible to install the boot loader to a partition.”

where should i install device for boot loader ?
sda or sda1 (/boot) ? or should i leave more hdd space before /sda1 which is /boot. ?

thx
andrw

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 431

If you are truly "legacy" (non-UEFI) BIOS mode. Then you will need a biosboot directory.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 7.8G 0 7.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 7.8G 106M 7.7G 2% /dev/shm
tmpfs 7.8G 1.7M 7.8G 1% /run
/dev/sda3 30G 80M 28G 1% /
/dev/sda4 30G 14G 15G 47% /usr
tmpfs 7.8G 40K 7.8G 1% /tmp
/dev/sda2 2.9G 227M 2.6G 9% /boot
/dev/sda5 20G 2.4G 17G 13% /var
/dev/sda7 344G 37G 290G 12% /home
/dev/sda1 2M 910K 1.1M 49% /biosboot
tmpfs 1.6G 96K 1.6G 1% /run/user/1000

You won't need all these partitions, it was just easy to copy and paste.

Max size about 2 MB.

/dev/sda is the "whole" hard drive.
/dev/sda1 is a partition on the hard drive.

If sda1 is already /boot (you need also)
You will need another parition.
/dev/sda2 can be /biosboot.

Then you will need at least one more partition of root "/".
Possibly at /dev/sda3. This should be your biggest partition. This is where are programs, libraries and applications go.

It's optional, but you might find better performance with a forth partition called "swap".
(This shows up as tmpfs in the above example)
If you 8 GB RAM or less, I would recommend making this the same size as your RAM.

For example if you have 4GB RAM, make a 4GB RAM disk.

If you have more than 8GB of RAM, cut it in half. For 12GB RAM, use 6GB swap partition.

So you probably want something like....
(I don't know how big your hard drive is... so I'm guessing here).

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 /biosboot 2M
/dev/sda2 /boot 2GB
/dev/sda3 / 200GB (as big as you can make it after making the other partitions)
/dev/sda4 swap 4GB (or however much RAM you have).

Why legacy? Unless the MB is some weirdly configured UEFI (i.e., most Acers), legacy on a Linux only (or at least non-Windows) system chokes the hardware.

were u asking me why i choose to use legacy ?

i watch joe collins youtube.. he said legacy is good for linux, also there are other ppl who uses linux said gpt sometime causes linux trouble.... and stuff. i have no idea how to use gpt.. never tried that before..

thx.
Why legacy? Unless the MB is some weirdly configured UEFI (i.e., most Acers), legacy on a Linux only (or at least non-Windows) system chokes the hardware.

I'm using Kubuntu 18.04 LTS on a homebuilt PC, Gigabyte motherboard, pure UEFI, Secure boot disabled, AHCI mode. It runs perfectly for the past two years when I installed 18.04 and switched from plain old BIOS - on the same motherboard. There is no reason to think that the GPT partition table is somehow inferior, or strange. It's the flexible partitioning system that we've needed for a long time, and has been around for some time now

UEFI, with some exceptions due to MB makers being strange, makes for a very stable basis to run Linux. Obviously it's your choice how to run your system, and whose advice you take, but Joe Collins is not the only expert on Linux or UEFI.

Members online