Zorin install, / is not in list of possible locations for bootloader, only /Home

Jaylu

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I've installed Linux mint before, and Lubuntu, both as permanent installs on fast usb drives, and am now intending to do the same with Zorin, on a fresh usb. With Zorin live on a usb, and using the 'Something Else' installation option, I'd done the partitioning and was ready to install the bootloader. But was surprised that the / partition I had created wasn't in the list of options - I've always created and installed to / which has been easy and perfect with other distros. I prefer /Home has it's own partition.

zorin install doesn't see sdb1.png

SCREENSHOT 1 ABOVE

zorin install list of available partitions.png

SCREENSHOT 2 ABOVE

This is a brand new usb, there has been no other distro on it, and I formatted it before I started the process, to make extra sure it was clear.

Here's screenshots of the partitions, and list of possible bootloaders.

Is the absence of / in the list of possible locations for bootloader normal for Zorin, or has something gone wrong?

Thanks, Jaylu

EDITED BY MODERATOR TO CLARIFY

Last edited by a moderator:

Simple.

At the bottom, it shows Device for bootloader installation as /dev/sda3 which is your Windozey (likely) data partition - which I am guessing you created yourself, is that so? It's in NTFS.

Click the down elevator button at right, and choose /dev/sdb for bootloader installation, no number, just the device.

BTW you will likely not need the Swap, Zorin installs it own, in the case of Zorin 15 - two types, zswap and a swapfile. So the swap partition is overkill.

Later

Wiz

Darn! Screenshots aren't showing that when I click on the dropdown list of drives, sdb1 / isn't shown as an option, only sdb3 /Home, and Windows.
Should have checked the screenshots before I posted....just took it for granted that what I selected would be the screenshot taken.
So still have the same question....is absence of / option a Zorin thing, or is something going wrong?

I've edited your OP (original post) at #1 to reflect the different screenshots - it's always a good idea, where the borders are not there or hard to see, to caption the shots. :)

You want to get back to where you were with Screenshot 1.

That was ready to proceed. It has identified your Samsung drive /dev/sdb, to place the bootloader.

Bootloaders can be installed on the root / partition, but it is not recommended except for experts.

So if you recreate screenshot 1 in all details, then press Install Now.

Report back if there are problems, or with questions or how you went.

Cheers

Wizard

Sorry Wiz, Your answer doesn't seem quite right. I think we might be at cross purposes due to having stuffed up the screenshots. Will get back to you with screenshot that shows list of options, so you can see what I mean.
Thanks, Jaylu

In your own time. I have plenty on my plate :)

Wiz

Hi Wiz,
Had no problem with Zorin install to USB this time. All partitions I created on usb showed up in the dropdown selection box as possible choices to install. So installed to sdb 1 / However new USB with new os still has boot issue. You've already said you don't know why this is happening ( I appreciate you being straight up about that) and so am asking further afield. Thanks for trying to help me, Jaylu

Members online