YouTube acting up in Firefox on Linux [Solved; to my satisfaction anywho!]

Deadtroopers

Reaction score
Credits
I don't know where this problem lies; this is a new install from a few months ago of Mint 21.1 but it has happened several times before and in other distros. After a couple of months half the control of video playing on YouTube will become non functional and I can't click ahead to get to where I want in a video or put emojis in comments. I watch mostly long form content and this is very irritating.

Edit: I downloaded an AppImage and use that with updates turned off. From what I can gather this is some weird interaction between MY Mint install and MY Firefox. Thanks for the suggestions; at least I've eliminated somethings the problem ian't.

Last edited:

Youtube is forever changing things, (mostly I used to lose sound regularly), try installing the latest Firefox.

Youtube is forever changing things, (mostly I used to lose sound regularly), try installing the latest Firefox.
Just did that before you mentioned it, still there. This is a something to do with Firefox on Linux, doesn't happen with other browers or operating systems. I did try a couple of other browsers; but, ye gods, the grief of just setting them up.

You might need to use a different web browser especially for Youtube. Deal with the grief for at least 10 minutes.

I use Firefox AppImage regularly, but for Youtube and a few other such problematic content-heavy sites, I have Brave Browser. This is on Manjaro MATE. Brave Browser is in the AUR (ouch). But it's safe to install and updated with the rest of the system.

However on Manjaro KDE and a few other Linux OS installations I have, Firefox is "regularly" installed, but I don't watch videos on those systems.

Be careful trying to use another application that uses audio or video besides web browser with Youtube because it could cause log-out. Yes I have enough RAM.

You might need to use a different web browser especially for Youtube. Deal with the grief for at least 10 minutes.

I use Firefox AppImage regularly, but for Youtube and a few other such problematic content-heavy sites, I have Brave Browser. This is on Manjaro MATE. Brave Browser is in the AUR (ouch). But it's safe to install and updated with the rest of the system.

However on Manjaro KDE and a few other Linux OS installations I have, Firefox is "regularly" installed, but I don't watch videos on those systems.

Be careful trying to use another application that uses audio or video besides web browser with Youtube because it could cause log-out. Yes I have enough RAM.
Brave I've tried several times; an unusable piece of crap has been my experience every time. Opera likewise. I'm not looking for half-arsed work rounds but a solution to this particular problem. If you can't actually help, please don't reply

You don't have to follow any advice you get on a forum if you don't like it. How do you want to be helped? How was I supposed to know you already used Brave and didn't like it? I don't like using that browser neither for anything, might as well avoid using Youtube and Web Archive and a couple of other places. But that's just being dumb and intolerant out of me. This will be my last reply for anything to you.

You don't have to follow any advice you get on a forum if you don't like it. How do you want to be helped? How was I supposed to know you already used Brave and didn't like it? I don't like using that browser neither for anything, might as well avoid using Youtube and Web Archive and a couple of other places. But that's just being dumb and intolerant out of me. This will be my last reply for anything to you.
When I ask for help with a problem, I want help with that problem, not work rounds. If some piece of software keeps falling over, one of the first thing I do is look for an alternative. The last ting I'll do when I've exhausted the obvious is post a query; that is just etiquette.

When I ask for help with a problem, I want help with that problem, not work rounds. If some piece of software keeps falling over, one of the first thing I do is look for an alternative. The last ting I'll do when I've exhausted the obvious is post a query; that is just etiquette.
Don't complain about free advice or free help when someone is taking the time to try and help you.

I don't think I've experienced what you are describing but I did find a post elsewhere that sounds similar to yours. You can try editing your Firefox configuration by doing the following.
Code:
1. Run the following in the adress bar: "about:config"
2. Search for "media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled
3. Disable it by setting it to false.
4. Restart Firefox and see if there is any improvement.
If that doesn't work also try disabling these as well.
Code:
2. Search for media.wmf.zero-copy-nv12-texture and gfx.direct3d11.reuse-decoder-device
3. Set them to false.
Are you using Xorg or a Wayland session in Linux Mint?

Last edited:
Don't complain about free advice or free help when someone is taking the time to try and help you.
I don't think I've experienced what you are describing but I did find a post elsewhere that sounds similar to yours. You can try editing your Firefox configuration by doing the following.
Code:
2. Search for "media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled
3. Disable it by setting it to false.
If that doesn't work also try disabling these as well.
Code:
2. Search for media.wmf.zero-copy-nv12-texture and gfx.direct3d11.reuse-decoder-device
3. Set them to false.
Are you using Xorg or a Wayland session in Linux Mint?
Thanks, neither helped though. I'm using Xorg.

I use Firefox-ESR 102.11 and have no issues with YouTube - Try turning off Hardware Acceleration - Settings, General, Performance and uncheck all the boxes

Have you experimented by turning Hardware Acceleration off ?

@Lord Boltar ...we almost crossed beams !

I have Firefox and Brave...youtube works just fine with both as does it on Slimjet and Google Chrome...might be your internet.
m09002.gif

Or you can do what I do I run both Firefox and Brave web browser.
I use the Brave browser as I don't get annoying adds before the tube even begins or half way through the video.
Just an idea, a thought.

Browser extensions can be problematic and to many browser extensions can create browser problems.

I don't really like Chrome, or Chromium, but I have to say, they generally handle video's better.

Staff online

Members online