Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Follow us on twitter - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages. https://twitter.com/linuxdotorg
    Dismiss Notice

Your First Computer

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by VP9KS, Dec 3, 2018.

1. JokerTux

JokerTux New Member

I can hardly remember those times , the windows 3.1 was a thing but 70% I had use the dos version , I m not sure if this was dos but it had a cmd line and a blue screen no mouse , when I was a little kid thats how I managed to open games .

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

And I remember the magical "speed" button on my PC , my computer had like 16MHz after you pushed the button it changed to 32 MHz you even had a little "monitor" for the speed on the computer .

wizardfromoz, VP9KS and Peer like this.
  2. Bayou Bengal

Bayou Bengal Active Member

1981 or 82 I guess. I bought a Commodore 64. It had all the goodies, and Brother in Law was in the software business! He gave me all kinds of game modules and software for the 64. I had no idea what I was doing with the software. One was a spreadsheet. The games were no better than the Atari console we had back then. I lost interest real quick. Little did I know that my company was going to computerize 5 years later! :eek:

wizardfromoz, Peer and JokerTux like this.
  3. TechnoJunky

TechnoJunky Member

My first computer was an Insight 386 33/66, 1 MB RAM, 20 MB HHD.

wizardfromoz, Peer and JokerTux like this.
  4. VP9KS

VP9KS Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember pouring through the pages of The Computer Shopper looking for bargains It was about 2.5 inches thick back then, and loaded with adds. I saw the first 386sx system below $1,000.00 back then. It was from a company called Lucky Computers, in Lubbuck Texas. 5.25 & 3.5 HD drives, 1MB of ram, Super VGA video board, and a 14 inch SVGA monitor (Beauty, eh?). The mother boards back then did not have the I/O and IDE /floppy ports built into them, so it included a board for that too. I also remember seeing the first 1GB drive from Seagate. It was $1,000.00 ($1.00 / Megabyteo_O). They seem to be a weeeee bit less expensive these days, don't ya know!:D

wizardfromoz and JokerTux like this.
  5. TechnoJunky

TechnoJunky Member

Yeah, that 14" monitor was so big and heavy. Odd how it could be so small, yet so big.

wizardfromoz likes this.