your favorite distribution of linux? and why?

tazi_strah

Reaction score
Credits
why did you choose one or the other distribution?
exmaple; i very love manjaro, simple, beautiful, based on Archlinux most flexible, because based on Arch!

Idk about favorite but Mint is the one I've been using for the longest - more than 2 years in total time of usage.

Manjaro has a big problem with grub2 - a problem that needs to be fixed. Right now you won't see it but if you install Mint 18.3 or an older version in the place of Manjaro, then you'll see the problem: Manjaro breaks the storage device's MBR thus making it impossible to boot a Debian based distro whose grub is installed inside the file system. Mint 18.3 and older versions use legacy grub which can be installed inside the file system (exactly like Windows XP years ago). Mint 19, Manjaro and newer distros use grub2 which can be installed ONLY on the device's MBR. Once that MBR is broken, the user will have to run a live CD and use
Code:
sudo apt-get install lilo
sudo lilo -M /dev/sdX mbr

* replace X with the storage device letter
or run the Windows DVD installer and use its command prompt to fix MBR.

Manjaro is the only distro with this problem. The other Arch based distros don't break the device's MBR which makes them a lot better than Manjaro.

I like arch because it's easy to install, easy to use and you can choose every Part of the System your self. Pacman is the Best and easyist packetmanager. AUR is awsome. It doesn't make such problems like I had on Debian and Ubuntu. It Haß a good Wiki. And you learn How your Linux works while installing it.

Idk about favorite but Mint is the one I've been using for the longest - more than 2 years in total time of usage.

Manjaro has a big problem with grub2 - a problem that needs to be fixed. Right now you won't see it but if you install Mint 18.3 or an older version in the place of Manjaro, then you'll see the problem: Manjaro breaks the storage device's MBR thus making it impossible to boot a Debian based distro whose grub is installed inside the file system. Mint 18.3 and older versions use legacy grub which can be installed inside the file system (exactly like Windows XP years ago). Mint 19, Manjaro and newer distros use grub2 which can be installed ONLY on the device's MBR. Once that MBR is broken, the user will have to run a live CD and use
Code:
sudo apt-get install lilo
sudo lilo -M /dev/sdX mbr

* replace X with the storage device letter
or run the Windows DVD installer and use its command prompt to fix MBR.

Manjaro is the only distro with this problem. The other Arch based distros don't break the device's MBR which makes them a lot better than Manjaro.
haha arch have hard instaling,but not harder than gentoo)

Right now on the Arch website under Latest News, there are four paragraphs with titles that say some package "upgrade requires manual intervention" (or "may" require).

So if you use Arch, once in a while the upgrade will fail with some unintelligible error. So you have to go onto their website and hope there's one of those news items to tell you how to salvage your system.

I find that alarming and annoying. It's never happened with Fedora. Fedora just works. I don't remember it happening with Mandrake/Mandriva either, back when I used it. Or with Ubuntu.

Worse, both times that I used Arch (for a couple years and later for a number of months) I eventually ended up with a system that was so screwed up that I couldn't recover. And what had I done? Just the standard "pacman -Syu" to upgrade.

In both cases I was able to boot a thumb drive to a rescue system and backup files. Then I wiped the hard drive and installed something else.

I just wanted to warn anyone that likes Arch.

Wow, such a simple yet difficult question to answer! I like 'em all :)
I used to really like Ubuntu. 6.06 Dapper Drake was the first time I truly got the 'Linux' thing down to where I could start to understand it.
The Ubuntu forums had a lot to do with why I found the distro so usable.
Then around version 10 or 11 Ubuntu started using the Unity desktop and experimenting with some other
changes and fell out of favor. I stated looking for something else. I've always 'distro hopped' and tried various
Linux distros but never could stick with just one.
Manjaro is a favorite. I also like Debian a lot. Never cared much for Fedora. Vector Linux was probably the most difficult.
Gentoo was the most interesting and educational. BSD was like the crazy Uncle nobody talks about!
I finally settled down on Linux Mint for the past few years. I think I just got tired of constantly tweaking and learning
'new' ways of doing things and wanted to settle down on something that 'just worked' day in and day out.
I guess that means Linux Mint is my favorite. As to why - because stuff just works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

constantly tweaking and learning
'new' ways of doing things and wanted to settle down on something that 'just worked' day in and day out.
That can be done with Mint as well. I keep reading things and learning new things while having a working OS. In the past 2 years of using and reading about Linux I learned about it more than I learned about Windows in the 20 years of using it... :D

That can be done with Mint as well. I keep reading things and learning new things while having a working OS. In the past 2 years of using and reading about Linux I learned about it more than I learned about Windows in the 20 years of using it... :D

Oh yes, I agree, the learning never stops.
Which is probably why I decided to settle down on one distro and delve deeper rather than jumping around from one to the other.
I was doing that with Ubuntu until I felt the need to look elsewhere.

Once that MBR is broken, the user will have to run a live CD and use ... [lilo] ... or run the Windows DVD installer and use its command prompt to fix MBR.

Had you tried fdisk (or sfdisk or cfdisk)?

If it's really so messed up that fdisk won't work, then surely this will straighten it out, followed by fdisk. Naturally, replace sdd with your disk.
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=512 count=32
------
Update:
Sorry, fdisk, sfdisk and cfdisk only work with partition tables on older MBR disks, not newer GPT format disks. The newer gdisk, sgdisk and cgdisk tools work with the partition tables of either format and are recommended over the previous tools.

Last edited:
Had you tried fdisk (or sfdisk or cfdisk)?

If it's really so messed up that fdisk won't work[/code]
Tried many things and only Lilo did the job. Altough the first time I encountered this Manjaro problem, I had to use a Windows DVD to fix it. After a long and tedious search on Google I found Lilo mentioned on a forum and it worked. Which is why I avoid Manjaro at all costs ever since...

PCLinuxOS has been my Distro of choice since it began years ago...

Why? Because it sucks less than the "Hello Kitty" dumbed down distros like *Buntu and it is more traditional Linux with KDE.

That's good to know, thank you.
So, games in Steam for Linux they recommend Ubuntu 16+ for no reason?
They recommend Ubuntu because that's the distribution the devs used for making the game work on Linux but in principle it should work with any distro. I've seen many games working just fine in Arch, despite the fact they were made in Ubuntu.

They recommend Ubuntu because that's the distribution the devs used for making the game work on Linux but in principle it should work with any distro. I've seen many games working just fine in Arch, despite the fact they were made in Ubuntu.
Oh well, now that i got used to Ubuntu, i'll stick with it.
Thank's.

Oh well, now that i got used to Ubuntu, i'll stick with it.
Thank's.

I tried Debian 9 this year and it went well for awhile, it then started to act up and I ended up with Lubuntu. Easy to install and use. Whatever is added to Debian by the Ubuntu people make it a whole lot better.

Members online

Latest posts