Your Bash scripting resources?

georgekhaidas

Reaction score
Credits
What resources/reference manuals do you all use/are highly recommended for bash scripting?

What I mean is, are there any books or guides similar to 'Learn Python the Hard Way' or something that you always fall back on to check your bash scripting against? Or does everyone just google the answer till they find it?

Trying to get into scripting a bit and bash seems the best to learn right off the bat for my interests.

Now THAT'S a valid question.

I will watch, myself to see what answers come in.

With you being on Fedora 28 you're on Bash anyway, as you know. Although you can change shells as you wish.

I do a teensy-weensy bit of Bash scripting, only Debian-based so far, for updating from CLI with this one, named "upd":

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get -y autoremove

We have a number of very capable scripters and programmers in our ranks, I expect one will be along soon to help.

The US ones will be asleep, and the British just about to wake up, lol.

Without invading your privacy, can you give us your timezone, and then if I find any leads, I can bring them back here?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I have a copy of Apress's "Pro-Bash Programming" by Chris Johnson and Jayant Varma - which is a very good, complete tutorial/primer on shellscripting with bash. That will take you from a complete beginner and guide you through.

if you already understand a bit of shell-script, O'Reilly's "Bash Cookbook" by Carl Albing, JP Vossen and Cameron Newham is another good one. The bash cookbook contains 'recipes' that will allow you to do certain things in your scripts. So if you have a bit of a brain-fart and can't remember how redirection works, or how a while loop works in bash - you can look up the corresponding recipe in the book.

Another book I got recently was No Starch Press's "Wicked Cool Shell Scripts" by Dave Taylor and Brandon Perry. According to the blurb (which I'm paraphrasing, NOT quoting exactly) - it features 101 simple, but useful shell scripts that you can mess around with and customise to suit your own needs.
Again, this isn't a tutorial type book, but one that shows some practical applications for bash.
I have to admit - this one came in a bundle of Linux/free software related ebooks that I bought and downloaded from the humblebundle website a while ago. So I haven't actually read it yet, but from skimming through it - it looks like it has some fairly useful script ideas in it!

But Apress's "Pro-Bash Programming" is definitely recommended reading for a beginner! The other two books are good for refreshing your memory, or for giving you some practical ideas for your scripts.

Now THAT'S a valid question.

I will watch, myself to see what answers come in.

With you being on Fedora 28 you're on Bash anyway, as you know. Although you can change shells as you wish.

I do a teensy-weensy bit of Bash scripting, only Debian-based so far, for updating from CLI with this one, named "upd":

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get -y autoremove

We have a number of very capable scripters and programmers in our ranks, I expect one will be along soon to help.

The US ones will be asleep, and the British just about to wake up, lol.

Without invading your privacy, can you give us your timezone, and then if I find any leads, I can bring them back here?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
i understand sir!!!

Members online

Latest posts