Xubuntu Core

VanillaCoffee

Reaction score
Credits
So earlier I was experimenting with Xubuntu on an old netbook to see how much I could strip it back to make it very light. I came across an a article that there is already a version of a stripped down xUbuntu for download called xbuntu core or at least there was a couple of years ago. The file is 600MB which is just a bare bones Xubuntu desktop that is ready to be built and customized and I really would love to try this out as it sounds like fun.

I've been looking for something like this for a while something I can build on, on a bare bones desktop environment. Xbuntu Core sounds great but I can not find any download links. I'm looking for the 32-bit version but the 64-bit will do if there is no 32-bit version I'll probably have both.

Anybody know of a download link for the ISO?

None of the current Ubuntu family distros support 32 bit anymore. (Just to wipe that off the menu.)

There's also an Ubuntu Core that's only for IoT devices.

You can use the Ubuntu Server release as a minimal install disk and just add things like a window manager and desktop environment.

I'm looking for a download link of the Xbuntu Core 32-bit or 64-Bit will do if 32-bit isn't available. There is no download link.

None of the current Ubuntu family distros support 32 bit anymore. (Just to wipe that off the menu.)

There's also an Ubuntu Core that's only for IoT devices.

You can use the Ubuntu Server release as a minimal install disk and just add things like a window manager and desktop environment.
Oh ok I'll just strip and modify the current version of xubuntu. I would really love to build my own Distro...

Well it didn't go as well as I expected but I have learned a bit more about the inner workings of xubuntu.

My plan was to strip back xubuntu to its core and build my own Distro from that "well not entirely my own" but its not as easy as I thought.

Doing simple things like removing the default apps makes xubuntu not start back up. Its interesting.

I simply don't have enough knowledge to strip back a Distro to build something on top of its foundations but I'm not giving up I will come back to this at a later stage. I need to learn more about what I am doing and in the mean time I'm going to have a play about with TinyCore and see what I can create from that.

1. Debian

2. Bodhi Linux​

3. Alpine Linux​

4. BunsenLabs Linux​

5. openSUSE (Tumbleweed)​

6. SliTaz GNU/Linux​

7. antiX Linux​

8. Porteus​

9. Linux Mint Debian Edition​

10. MX Linux​

11. Q4OS​

12. Sparky Linux​

13. Mageia​

14. Void Linux​

15. Devuan​

16. Gentoo Linux​

17. Emmabuntüs​

18. NixOS​

These all support 32 bit and are better then Ubuntu at this point . Ubuntu last few relases was push out with bugs without fixing them into later

Last edited:
I have tried Q4OS 32-bit with Trinity. It was many years since I used "early" WindowsXP, which made me clumsy this year trying to get around Konqueror and other apps. It might be a bad thing if Konqueror and other Trinity apps are wanted removed.

Surprisingly NixOS is in the above list. That one is for the tinkerers for sure. What a shame it's that one and not the Guix System which has some similarities and could go really deep with it but is 64-bit only. I tried NixOS as operating system with MATE but Engrampa didn't work, refused to recognize ZIP format, which was unacceptable.

Bunsen Labs is on that list. Maybe better to list Crunchbang++ ... yes it does support 32-bit, see the link below. Beryllium could want a lot of memory but it's not a D.E.

Slackware is not on that list, however this is for the v15 static ISO from February 2022. I have that installed on my internal HDD with Wine v7.15 courtesy of the Slackbuilds but almost never go into it because it's very slow.

My plan was to strip back xubuntu to its core and build my own Distro from that "well not entirely my own" but its not as easy as I thought.

See my first post. Instead of trying to pare down a distro, build it from a solid foundation - which is the server install. There are going to be a zillion tutorials out there to do this (as I am speculating you don't already know how).

To be clear, it's not bad that you don't know how. You've never done it before. You also didn't use Linux back in Ye Olden Days where you basically had to do it like that. So, this is your chance to learn how.

If you try it in a VM, you can easily take snapshots along the way.

personally I don't see why everything has to be overly complicated. I'm seeing it in a lot of Linux Distros especially modern ones where I'm left scratching my head where as the older distros were easier to work with. Tiny Core would have been ideal except there seems to be no way of installing it to the main hard drive. A simple desktop with no apps and a terminal would have been ideal and something that has an installer would be ideal for a beginner like me.

Members online