xp-pen tablette and linux drivers ?

yogib33r

Reaction score
Credits
hi all

i am actually a manjaro linux user and with a specific project of point & click game to realize, i go to investigate to buy something as the cintiq wacom tablet but without the price. so then i saw the xp-pen 12 inchs tablet with .sh driver but before buying a 200€ tablet, i would have your advices about the tablet or other kinds of cheap than wacom ones.

thanx a lot.

yogib33r

Offhand I don't know.

I have an ancient, early 2000's RM tablet PC with a stylus that just about runs Debian with openbox.
It uses a built-in wacom touchscreen and a stylus.

The linux drivers for wacom seem to be pretty solid - My old RM tablet/stylus works really well for graphics programs like GIMP and MyPaint. But the system only has 768Mb of RAM - so it's a bit sluggish at times.

So I'd imagine that any older tablet PC or touch-screen laptop that uses a wacom touch-screen will be well supported too - if that is the kind of thing you are talking about?

I don't know about the expensive wacom touch-screens though. I have no idea what kind of support they have in Linux because I've never been able to afford to buy one!

But if you are looking at buying an old, or new-ish touch-screen tablet/laptop - I imagine that it will probably work well with Linux if it has a wacom touchscreen.

[EDIT]
I've just looked up the XP-pen tablet and it looks interesting.
The prices are a lot more reasonable than the wacom offerings.
And from the looks of things they have Linux drivers available, so it should be compatible - but I have no idea whether all of its features will be available when running under Linux.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:
hello jackinasi and thanx a lot for your answer.

yes i think you are right. this tablette works as another screen or you can make it the duplicate of the first.
no doubt i would try if the price (25€ but 50€ of post office) would be cheap !

afterall i already wrote to the firm which did it and i'm waiting for any answer from them.
thanx a lot and have a goooood day :)

stéphane

edit: ooooops i merged two answers in one ^^
the fact is i'm interested also by the ollllld smart sympodium 350 with is a tactil tablet not made to draw with but i tried under windows and the result is great. it does vga resolution but my project to be with only need animations i can make in lower resolution and export as full hd or better ^^ in fact we are going, the team i done and me, a point & click video game with only free and opensource workflow. this tablet so yes this one which is completely different use a wacom screen and pencil, so i asked to the technical staff and i'm waiting for some more informations ^^ kindly regards and thanx yet

Last edited:
hello dear linux rulez sir ^^

yes this tablet is very interesting but i'm in love with manjaro linux (some other like ubuntu) so then they answer me no way to get some drivers for my linux branch ! but yes it seems to be a good deal :)

have a good day

regards

edit: some linux manjaro friends are prettty sure it would run on this system, i go to test it in day and time :) regards

Last edited:
Hey, found your question a little late. Probably by now, things have changed. But still, I have the xp pen artist 12 for home, and artist 16 at work and I am really happy with them! At home, I also run Manjaro, and it totally works. There is a driver for it on their site and although it is in beta, for me works just fine. The only thing that is still a little bit bothering me is that I need to run it each time as sudo, as I am a bit new to Linux, and still can't make proper startup scripts myself, to make it automatically run on startup with root privileges.

Hey, found your question a little late. Probably by now, things have changed. But still, I have the xp pen artist 12 for home, and artist 16 at work and I am really happy with them! At home, I also run Manjaro, and it totally works. There is a driver for it on their site and although it is in beta, for me works just fine. The only thing that is still a little bit bothering me is that I need to run it each time as sudo, as I am a bit new to Linux, and still can't make proper startup scripts myself, to make it automatically run on startup with root privileges.

Indeed. I have the Artist 16 and the pen works out-the-box. It's one of the remaining 10 XP-Pen products that don't yet have a Linux driver (by the last time I checked) but I only need to run one terminal command to map it to the tablet monitor and I'm sorted.

They've done great work releasing a vast amount of Linux drivers in 2019. I expect by the end of 2020 all their products will have Linux drivers downloadable from their website. When my tablet gets one, I do plan to try it out... more so for easy button remapping.

So, by the end of the year: anyone interested in XP-Pen products but worried about Linux compatibility? Worry not, go ahead and buy with a confident mind. It'll work.

Members online

Latest posts