Xorg -configure problem

F

fire47

Hi

Iḿ doing a embedded linux and its working. Now i want to put the Xorg work. Iam using kernel, busybox and buildroot. The only user is the root. If i write startx, the screen changes and give me 3 "terminals". If i write Xorg -configure, i get a black screen and i cant do nothing. I have to close the QEMU.
For Xorg iḿ using this tutorial:
- http://agentoss.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/building-a-tiny-x-org-linux-system-using-buildroot/
and when the tutorial say :
"For debugging purposes you may need to manually create an xorg.conf
# X -configure
# mkdir -p /etc/X11
# cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

I cant do anything after. I dont know what is the problem

Sorry for my bad English
Best regards

First, if you get three terminal windows showing when you run startx, then X is starting just fine. It's the window manager that's throwing the terminal windows on the screen. That's probably what you need to configure.

So, the question becomes: what window manager are you using?

Hi

I´m using the fluxbox, because the links in blackbox are broken, so i can´t see the exemples.
When i type startx, appears 2 xterm windos and the onther is login.
I can use only the window of login, but i can´t scroll.
Only when i type Xorg -configure, the screen changes to black whitout any text, and i can´t create Xorg.conf.

Best regards

When you run the Xorg -configure command, it probably kills the existing X-session. If you get to the point where you have a terminal window showing (in a frame, etc.) you've probably got X going. Run < ps -e | grep Xorg >. If you get a line of output, you've got Xorg running.

Then do a < find /var -name Xorg* >. That's your Xorg log file, it'll probably be /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Look in there. The first dozen lines or so will tell you more than you want to know about your Xorg installation. Specifically, it'll tell you what config file it's using. Look through that file, paying attention to lines marked (EE) and (II).

At the very end of the log file, there'll be a message if Xorg failed to start.

If Xorg is up and running, you need to look into your fluxbox configuration next.

First of all, thank you for your help.
After i start the QEMU emulator and enter with root user i can i don't have any problem. Then i type startx and appears what is in the screen, is that what have to appear?

As you can see, i can find that log. Is Not in the folder that you said, but is the same. I can't see very much because i don't have a side bar to slide the window, and i only have access to the log after type startx. But i think tke Xorg part is working right?

Now I dont know if the changes i want to make is in the xorg ou in .Fluxbox.
Thank you very much for your help

I don't understand the first question, sorry. Try rephrasing?

To view the log, use a pager like more or less. I usually use less. < less file-to-view >. You can navigate in there. The man page should help you.

As far as changes, it's probably in Fluxbox.

BTW, even for an embedded system, you should have some regular-privilege user, do not allow direct login as root, for security reasons.

After i execute the QEMU, i enter with root user. Then i stay in the same command console with # character. Then i write startx and opens the screen i had post before.
But if i write xinit instead start x i only get a black screen with a console.
Finaly if i write exec startfluxbox give me a xmodmap error.

So the error is in the fluxbox, i think.