Xfce ssd install

gold

Reaction score
Credits
hi.
...so I've got this 32GB ssd and a 1tb black box for linux to occupy until I take the plunge with a $1,000 graphics card to write my book "Assembly language using AMD graphic cards for non-graphic math uses."
...maybe it will sell a dozen copies...
As I understand this, I put Xfce on the 32gb ssd, and any other applications I might want (for me this means perl, python, and the AMD compiler, maybe an mp3 player).
...then AFTER filling up the 32gb ssd:
a) get a bigger ssd.
b) keep making backups of my data on the hdd as I have for the past 30 years.

I guess what I was worried about was what goes into the /lib, /usr/lib, but maybe I should copy the ..lib files to the hdd from time to time (before downloading 3rd party software) and stop worrying about it. Any other system directories to put into the backup script?
...would the best script be to dump the ssd onto a partition of the hdd? This creates a followup question, what needs to go onto the hdd as a backup boot drive for when the ssd crashes.

Yeah, I would put the script on a partition on the hdd. That way if you want you can run the script daily via a cron job. Or you can run the script manually, it's up to you.

I'm not sure what you would install on the hdd as a backup boot drive if your ssd crashes.

Most folks use Clonezilla, Rsync and or Bacula to backup.
Clonezilla is pretty easy to use.

OR> you can backup regularly onto a external hdd if you'd like.

Members online