wpa_supplicant can't be used to connect to mobile hotspots

WiseKind

Reaction score
Credits
I have recently switched from using iwd to connect to wireless networks and am now using wpa_supplicant. However, I quickly noticed a problem, that for some reason, it's impossible to use wpa_supplicant to connect to a mobile hotspot. There are no problems connecting to other types of networks.

STDOUT from attempting to connect to a normal WiFi access point
Code:
> enable_network 1
OK
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<3>SME: Trying to authenticate with ee:ee:ee:ee:ee:ee (SSID='Normal Network' freq=5765 MHz)
<3>Trying to associate with ee:ee:ee:ee:ee:ee (SSID='Normal Network' freq=5765 MHz)
<3>Associated with ee:ee:ee:ee:ee:ee
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SUBNET-STATUS-UPDATE status=0
<3>WPA: Key negotiation completed with ee:ee:ee:ee:ee:ee [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
<3>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to ee:ee:ee:ee:ee:ee completed [id=1 id_str=]
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=0 signal=-49 noise=9999 txrate=6000
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=1 signal=-48 noise=9999 txrate=433300
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=0 signal=-48 noise=9999 txrate=433300
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=1 signal=-49 noise=9999 txrate=433300
>
STDOUT from attempting to connect to a mobile hotspot
Code:
> disable_network 1
OK
> add_network
> scan_results
bssid / frequency / signal level / flags / ssid
ee:ee:ee:ee:ee:ee       5765    -49     [WPA2-PSK-CCMP][WPS][ESS]       Normal Network
bb:bb:bb:bb:bb:bb       5765    -59     [WPA2-PSK-CCMP][ESS]    Mobile Hotspot
> set_network 2 ssid "Mobile Hotspot"
OK
> password 2 "password"
OK
> list_networks
network id / ssid / bssid / flags
0       Some random normal network     any
1       Normal Network     any     [DISABLED]
2       Mobile Hotspot   any     [DISABLED]
> enable_network 2
OK
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<3>CTRL-EVENT-NETWORK-NOT-FOUND
>

Unfortunately, I can't really find documentation on what error messages like <3>CTRL-EVENT-NETWORK-NOT-FOUND actually mean. This problem may be caused by me not having enough knowledge on wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli.

Mobile Hotspot any [DISABLED]
Here is your problem - need to enable it - it is why Network not found - To solve this, select 'Connect to hidden network' option then select Hotspot - this is for Ubuntu based OS

Hello. I am on Arch Linux, and I am only using command-line tools (wpa_cli) to interface with wpa_supplicant. Can you find where this option is in a config file or something?

Hello. I am on Arch Linux, and I am only using command-line tools (wpa_cli) to interface with wpa_supplicant. Can you find where this option is in a config file or something?
Sorry I use Ubuntu based OS not that familiar with Arch since I do not use it

Not try it but according to the archwiki this should work.
Tip: To configure a network block to a hidden wireless SSID, which by definition will not turn up in a regular scan, the option scan_ssid=1 has to be defined in the network block.

I thought I was talking about mobile hotspots, not hidden networks, but surprisingly adding scan_ssid=1 to the config file for the mobile hotspot's information actually allowed me to connect to the network. Do you know how to enable scan_ssid using wpa_cli instead of editing it in the config file?

Not try it but according to the archwiki this should work.

I thought I was talking about mobile hotspots, not hidden networks, but surprisingly adding scan_ssid=1 to the config file for the mobile hotspot's information actually allowed me to connect to the network. Do you know how to enable scan_ssid using wpa_cli instead of editing it in the config file? I don't need to know this, but it would make my life easier.

Members online

Latest posts