Worst thing in linux

Mkjiiqwdasd

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, i have an annoying problem while using debian linux. I am trying to copy files of total size 15 GB from an external hard drive to my pc HDD. When i start copying, the copying speed gradually decreases. It starts at 70MB/s and then keeps going down until its too slow.

And worse than that is that the external HDD always unmounts automatically (Ejects on its own) and this causes data loss. Some files get deleted.

I don't think that's a "Linux" thing. I think that's a you thing. Servers are moving TBs of data successfully. Myself, I move giant files all the time. So, it's not the worst thing in Linux - I'm pretty sure. The worst thing in Linux would be that nobody has written a darned app to graphically modify your keyboard layout! But, no... No, data transfer is a fully resolved problem.

I don't suppose you want to work on figuring out why you're having this problem?

How is the external HDD connected? USB? SATA? iSCSI? IDE?
Each has it's limitations.

I copied 40GB from a usb flash drive to my ssd earlier took maybe 10 minutes with no issues.

I don't think that's a "Linux" thing. I think that's a you thing. Servers are moving TBs of data successfully. Myself, I move giant files all the time. So, it's not the worst thing in Linux - I'm pretty sure. The worst thing in Linux would be that nobody has written a darned app to graphically modify your keyboard layout! But, no... No, data transfer is a fully resolved problem.

I don't suppose you want to work on figuring out why you're having this problem?

In fact i tried the usb3 port in the pc and it worked fine. Maybe the problem only occurs with usb2 when connected with a usb3 cable to the external HDD.

The worst thing in Linux would be that nobody has written a darned app to graphically modify your keyboard layout!
What kind of app are you referring to? Just curious. I don't mess too much with that but KDE has a keyboard layout manipulation tool in system settings, I don't know if this is what you mean though. Also, I found this https://keyman.com/linux/ and I quote
Keyman for Linux makes it possible to type in over 2000 languages in any Linux application. Create your own custom keyboards with Keyman Developer 14.0*.
For me, the worst thing in Linux is graphics proprietary driver support, admittedly, it isn't Linux to blame but hardware vendors who decide whether to support a distro version.

What kind of app are you referring to?

That's getting closer. Alas, "* Keyman Developer is currently a Windows-only product; however, the command line compiler kmcomp runs in WINE." So, it'd be workable.

The people who ask for things like this want to do things like press the period key three times and have it write actual ellipses instead of the (incorrect) "..." They also want to *easily* remap keys, like say making CAPS LOCK the AltGr key.

It's not for me. No, no... I use a weird keyboard layout, but I'm happy with where the keys are.

It's for the dozen or so questions I see each week (oddly never here, but on places like U&L and AU) asking about remapping keys.

The link you gave is interesting. It may have some potential, though I'm not sure that I'll test it. I actually have pretty much zero experience with WINE. That's why I don't answer any WINE questions. Buggered if I know anything about it. I don't use any Windows software.

I may suggest it to others who are looking, so thanks!

Maybe the problem only occurs with usb2 when connected with a usb3 cable to the external HDD.

The standards for USB3 include backwards capability, but not all hardware vendors give a spit. It could indeed very well be just that. Glad you got it sorted and that it wasn't a painful debugging process that took days of frustration.

Linux is pretty solid these days. Most errors are typically user errors, even if we don't want to admit it.

Linux is pretty solid these days. Most errors are typically user errors, even if we don't want to admit it.

Amen to that !

The people who ask for things like this want to do things like press the period key three times and have it write actual ellipses instead of the (incorrect) "..."
Ah, I didn't know you can do that lol Like I said I don't mess too much with that so ...

Ah, I didn't know you can do that lol Like I said I don't mess too much with that so ...

Yeah, you can do it manually. There's no GUI way that I know of - but there should be.

If someone wrote this app, it'd probably be pretty popular.

There's also 'chording'. I forget the number, but I'm pretty sure it was six. You can theoretically have shortcuts that have six inputs, so you could press 6 keys to have one action. Meaning that this could be unbelievably complicated.

You can switch between kb layouts or languages pretty easy.