Won't let me install Ubuntu

Cyborg Ryno 603

Reaction score
Credits
So my pc currently runs Windows 10 and I'm trying to install Ubuntu but it won't let me. What happens is I plug in the USB drive that has the iso file, boot up and select to boot from said USB, and it goes straight into Windows without even mentioning Linux. My pc is a bit older and uses a BIOS system and not UEFI, maybe that's the problem?

Did you just copy the ISO to the USB drive or did you burn it to the drive?
My pc is a bit older and uses a BIOS system and not UEFI, maybe that's the problem?
Possibly.

In order to better help you, it would be nice to have some extra info, such as computer make and model, what app you used to create your bootable drive, etc. etc.

Possibly.

In order to better help you, it would be nice to have some extra info, such as computer make and model, what app you used to create your bootable drive, etc. etc.
I was reading online for instructions and saw not to copy iso directly to USB, which is what I did. I'll try the proper way and get back to you if it works or not!

Possibly.

In order to better help you, it would be nice to have some extra info, such as computer make and model, what app you used to create your bootabl
Good news, I got it! Turns out actually reading the instructions is helpful, lol. Thanks!

Turns out actually reading the instructions is helpful

You're gonna want to get used to that.

I have one caveat - and it's huge.

Not only do you need to follow directions - you need to know what those directions are going to do, at least generally what they'll do.

As you're just starting out, you'll be using a search engine and finding pages that have helpful commands to run in the terminal. The authors almost always have the best of intentions, but that doesn't mean they're free from error.

So, before you go blindly typing in commands you found by using Google, make sure you know what those commands are actually going to do.

And, before you get going too far, learn to make good backups. An untested backup is not a backup.

Members online

Latest posts