Wizard's New Year Message

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
2020 has certainly been an Annus Horribilis (horrible year) with regard to the rise of and proliferation of COVID-19, causing widespread havoc and misery to many.

Hopefully it is not long from being, if not conquered, then at least being brought under manageable control.

To all my "Friends and Family" here, to my Followers and to all Members, I wish you a

Safe and Happy New Year

and look forward to working with you again and playing with Linux in 2021.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks for a great year here with the linux.org community!! Happy New year to you as well and the rest of the community!!

Last edited:
You got me on that one, King Gregory, had to Google it.

Now I follow.

More coffee :) :) :)

Wizard (from your future, 2021)

Think about this... COVID-19 is from 2019, so why does everybody blame 2020?
No one died or large death amounts in 2019 and we were not totally aware of what was to come. When we popped the bottle in 2020 everything went south. I know that does not make sense but we were not told of the danger until march 2020 here in the USA.

1609522277554.png

Wishing everyone
best in Health;
All the Happiness residing within you places a smile upon your face. ,
and may you find the love that you desire and cherish.
May all your troubles be but storms in a tea cup.
In this New Year as it unfolds for you.

Been doing a little thinking with this pea brain of mine.
Wondered just what is the real importance of the covid thing. Please don't misunderstand what I am about to write. Any disease that takes a bunch of lives is not to be taken lightly.

I did some checking on what the total number of deaths from all causes are in the USA for this year - 2020. The figure I found was from 3 days ago so it was an estimate. The total number came in at 3.1 million total deaths here in the US. The latest number I saw for those dying from covid was about 280,000.
Then I asked myself - What about those other 2,820,000 people that died? How important were their deaths? According to what the 'indoctrination' media has been reporting - the answer to that is very apparent - those other deaths were not important enough to report on: at least not nearly as important as those 280,000.
Then I asked myself - why is that? To which I answered - there appears to be something strange going on to classify one type of death as being more important than another kind.

A little history that I remember as I was growing up. When television first made its' appearance in our area, there was about 5 minutes of 'real' news given on TV. In a couple years they had expanded that to 15 minutes around 6 PM, during the dinner time. It was still 'real' news yet at that time.
Next came the cable networks with their 30 minutes of news, which quickly expanded to 1 hour.
Then they must have figured out that they could make a lot more money by having some 24 hour news channels, which they did.
However, something happened along the way that changed the structure of reporting the news. They figured it out that they could influence public opinion by promoting their agendas and calling it 'News Reporting'.
Today it is not news reporting at all. I call it indoctrination sessions. Of course they throw in enough real news to hide the fact that they are in the indoctrination business today. That is deceitful.
Many people today can see what is actually happening in the so-called 'news media'.

Now back to my original post subject - how important is the covid thing?
I will let you come to your own conclusions.

Been around a while longer than most here, maybe seen a few more things than most.
Still an old Geezer, Tango Charlie

Welcome to linux.org @Noah S :) , a Happy New Year to you too.

@Hansel Johnson Jr - Hansel, I was just discussing this with Elaine over a coffee, you must have read my mind (good Wizard trick).

I opened the door to COVID-19 with my first post, but it is not the appropriate home for it in Site Announcements. My bad, perhaps.

So I'll talk with Rob, and maybe open a Thread in Off Topic on Covid information sharing and discussion.

Cheers

Wizard

Been doing a little thinking with this pea brain of mine.
Wondered just what is the real importance of the covid thing. Please don't misunderstand what I am about to write. Any disease that takes a bunch of lives is not to be taken lightly.

I did some checking on what the total number of deaths from all causes are in the USA for this year - 2020. The figure I found was from 3 days ago so it was an estimate. The total number came in at 3.1 million total deaths here in the US. The latest number I saw for those dying from covid was about 280,000.
Then I asked myself - What about those other 2,820,000 people that died? How important were their deaths? According to what the 'indoctrination' media has been reporting - the answer to that is very apparent - those other deaths were not important enough to report on: at least not nearly as important as those 280,000.
Then I asked myself - why is that? To which I answered - there appears to be something strange going on to classify one type of death as being more important than another kind.

A little history that I remember as I was growing up. When television first made its' appearance in our area, there was about 5 minutes of 'real' news given on TV. In a couple years they had expanded that to 15 minutes around 6 PM, during the dinner time. It was still 'real' news yet at that time.
Next came the cable networks with their 30 minutes of news, which quickly expanded to 1 hour.
Then they must have figured out that they could make a lot more money by having some 24 hour news channels, which they did.
However, something happened along the way that changed the structure of reporting the news. They figured it out that they could influence public opinion by promoting their agendas and calling it 'News Reporting'.
Today it is not news reporting at all. I call it indoctrination sessions. Of course they throw in enough real news to hide the fact that they are in the indoctrination business today. That is deceitful.
Many people today can see what is actually happening in the so-called 'news media'.

Now back to my original post subject - how important is the covid thing?
I will let you come to your own conclusions.

Been around a while longer than most here, maybe seen a few more things than most.
Still an old Geezer, Tango Charlie
Thank you for this post @70 Tango Charlie !
You are a voice of reason and wisdom in a "Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@captain-sensible , @70 Tango Charlie okay you two you are raining on my happy new year. I do think we need a thread on the covid-19 and what people think. Yes something is up! Just a thought for now lets enjoy a few moments of the new year.
I try to enjoy every moment of every year!
And if a moment cannot be enjoyed I try to appreciate it.

Today it is not news reporting at all.
Here you are Charlie got this from a book called "What is Coming."
It has only gotten worse since then.

No Independent Press. Sometime in the 1890's
At a dinner recently given the Press in New York, a journalist was called upon to reply to the toast, "An Independent Press." Knowing we had no independent press among the powerful papers of the nation, he for a long time refused to reply, but being insisted on to do so, said:

"There is no such thing in America, as an independent press, unless it is out in the country towns. You are all slaves. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to express an honest opinion. If you express it you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid $150 a week for keeping honest opinions out of the papers I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for doing similar things. If I should allow honest opinions to be printed in one issue of my paper, like Othello, my occupation would be gone. The man who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the street looking for another job. The business of a leading journalists is to distort the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to nullify, to fawn at the feet of Mammon, and to sell his country and his race for daily bread, or for what is the same thing, his salary. You know this and I know it and what foolery to be toasting an "Independent Press." We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are jumping jacks. They pull the siring and we dance. Our time, our talent, our possibilities are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

What is Coming

Lyman E. Stowe 1896

if a moment cannot be enjoyed I try to appreciate it.
I quite agree with that sentiment.
As it is something we lost when we transitioned from being a child where we more or less lived in that present moment, to an adult where we concentrated more on the future as well as our past whilst forgetting to live in the present.
The present is the only thing that we have the future we can only influence slightly by our actions to-day and the past is history which we cannot change so that where we are in this present point in time is the only time we have. :)

I quite agree with that sentiment.
As it is something we lost when we transitioned from being a child where we more or less lived in that present moment, to an adult where we concentrated more on the future as well as our past whilst forgetting to live in the present.
The present is the only thing that we have the future we can only influence slightly by our actions to-day and the past is history which we cannot change so that where we are in this present point in time is the only time we have. :)
Having come very close to 'meeting my maker' on several occasions I have learned to be very appreciative of every moment. Even the ones which are not so great :)

Staff online

Members online