WIX Website Editor doesn't run in Linux. Help!

jwnyc

Reaction score
Credits
Noob here. Windows 7 Pro refugee and loving Mint Tricia so far. But I just discovered WIX Online Website Editor does not support the editor in Linux. I have 5 sites designed in WIX and really, really do not want to rebuild. W7Pro is already wiped off my system. Is there a workaround? HELP!!!

Last edited:

If you need the visiualStudio stuff, you can do "some" (but not all) of it with mono and wine.

You might be able to run the whole stack under wine but I haven't tried it.

Just installed Wine. But I have no idea how to run this under Wine. Is there a tutorial or ? And this is about the WIX Website editor, just to be clear.

Oops.. looks like you may be out of luck within linux:
https://support.wix.com/en/article/using-wix-on-linux

I'd choose another provider and let them know why.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of - who would have thought that a web-based design program, running through Chrome, would be incompatible? Crazy. Seems like there should be a work around. Guess this means a rebuild of all the sites in some linux-compatible site builder. That's a real speedbump.

Can I run this outside through Wine?

I run a Wix site and am using Midori as a browser. Pleased to report that Wix Editor works on it just fine!
Am running Mint 19.3

You are a genius. A demi-god. A fixer of all things and saver of my sanity! Just opened Midori and GENIUS!!!!!! Wow, you have saved me from the hell that is WordPress. Thanks so so so much!

@canta .....good input there !!!!!...well done. You have saved jwnyc's bacon !

If Wix runs in A browser, chances are it will run in ANY browser.

Just curious, once you create a site in Wix, is your source code stuck there forever? Or can you download it to your PC? I get that having it out on the web someplace has its conveniences, but after all, it is your source code ;)

Just curious, once you create a site in Wix, is your source code stuck there forever? Or can you download it to your PC? I get that having it out on the web someplace has its conveniences, but after all, it is your source code ;)
The published Wix site can be viewed in most browsers, but with Linux there don't seem to be many browsers that allow editing. Wix says it doesn't support Linux, so it's a case of looking around - which I did - hence the posts. As for source code, I'm really a newbie at that stuff, and would need to down a couple of Buds to get my head around that!

The interface with the WIX design tools is completely blocked outside Apple and Windows. They don't even allow access through ipads or phones. You have to be on a mac or windows computer to use the editing tools. It's the continued use of the design interface I'm looking for. Basically I want to be able to drag and drop widgets and update the content, since I'm not a coder. I have stuck my toe into the WordPress pool and it is seriously convoluted and honestly cannot do some of the things that WIX widgets do. So if I can stay there, it's much easier for me to update my site with updated video or new content. And according to WIX they do not allow exporting anywhere.

The interface with the WIX design tools is completely blocked outside Apple and Windows. They don't even allow access through ipads or phones. You have to be on a mac or windows computer to use the editing tools. It's the continued use of the design interface I'm looking for. Basically I want to be able to drag and drop widgets and update the content, since I'm not a coder. I have stuck my toe into the WordPress pool and it is seriously convoluted and honestly cannot do some of the things that WIX widgets do. So if I can stay there, it's much easier for me to update my site with updated video or new content. And according to WIX they do not allow exporting anywhere.
Couple of things: the link I gave - https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/ - is a browser that I found in the Linux Mint 19.3 software repositories. It is based on Chromium to a large extent, but the blurb states: "An open-source version of Chromium". Whatever the magic ingredient, it's super-fast on Linux and allows full editing of Wix. I run two Parish Council websites, so I need something reliable in order to keep the Parishes updated, and this browser ticks all the boxes, it allows me to use ALL editing tools on Wix. Reviews also say it's a great browser for Linux. Hope all this helps!

Just installed Chromium and MAGIC, it's working perfectly. Thanks so much! Want to make this my default browser!! You just got two more gold stars on your refrigerator chart!!!

Members online

Latest posts