Wireless adapter that works out of the box with Linux...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I am not affiliated. This is not an affiliate link. I've used this brand in the past and wanted to get another spare wireless adapter.

The missus picked up the package in town, seeing as she was already going there. (Delivery companies don't like to come to my house in the winter, even if it's not 'bad'.)

It's dirt cheap but effective. I plugged it into three devices, each with a different Linux distro installed, and it was recognized and connected with no problems/drama.

If you want to keep a spare on-hand that's likely going to work even while you're installing the OS from the live distro, then these guys make stuff that works with Linux.

I haven't had any issues with wireless adapters in a long time, also the reason why I just buy my hardware without checking if it that are drivers in the kernel that support the hardware I buy.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with wireless adapters in a long time, also the reason why I just buy my hardware without checking if it that are drivers in the kernel that support the hardware I buy.

I usually check to see if it says it is Linux supported, but I figured we get so many people asking about wireless devices that they might want to see that some exist that work right straight out of the box.

That's something I've never used or needed for my 11 year old Laptop...I use my Laptop 2 to 3 times a year and have installed a few versions of Mint and Linux Lite over the years...must be lucky.
m1211.gif

must be lucky.

Or the device is old enough to have the driver in the kernel. Newer devices are frequently not yet in the kernel, so people have issues with wireless. This is why we get so many wireless questions. Sadly, that's one of the remaining areas where Linux still has difficulties.

I just revived my b.i.l desktop with Bionicpup. He wanted wireless but there is no wireless card, so I whipped out my decade old unused Hawking Wireless USB - then managed to make it work ! Puppy power...:)

I bought 2 of these.
They work without problem with MX, but not EasyOS.
The drivers come on a CD. Should I install the driver or shouldn’t I (for EasyOS).

MX is based on Debian and has the full debian driver pack included, Easy is based on Puppy, the best person to tell you about drivers for puppy based distros is our @MikeWalsh [he will see i have called him]

I am sorry not to be clear.
For security reason should I install a driver from a CD or forget about the whole thing (I can use other ways to connect, instead of wifi).
I knew that’s not easy to install stuffs in Puppy, that’s why I asked first before adventuring in the second phase that promises lot of headache.

I bought 2 of these.
The drivers come on a CD. Should I install the driver or shouldn’t I (for EasyOS).

Hmm... Yeah, I suppose the small dustros might not have the drivers in their kernel.

I'm on a phone. Sorry for the slow reply.

It works now. Thanks.
It didn’t before because I attempted to connect to my … Guest network. I don’t know why.

It works now. Thanks.
It didn’t before because I attempted to connect to my … Guest network. I don’t know why.

Ah, good... I'm glad to have not steered you wrong. It has just worked for me, across multiple distros.

It's not the latest and greatest, but it's fast enough for me. They are also dirt cheap. I assume that the drivers have been in the kernel for a while. It's not new tech.

Man, I hate typing on a phone. Yeah

Members online