Wines you recommend & those you don't

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
Chianti an italian wine - i tried this 2020 from the vineyards of lidl . I didn't like it; not sure if its the grape "Sangiovese" or that it could be a blend of 80% Sangiovese and something else.

Attachments

• chianti.jpg
    chianti.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 229

I'm a big wine lover and I'm also a home winemaker. Many people like specific wine varietals, but I like almost all of them. There are obviously some I like more than others.

Anyhow. I recently made this list for some people I work with. So, all I need to do is preproduce it here. They are wines that I frequently keep on hand. There are many different types because I drink them with dinner. My dinner usually defines what wine I will have with dinner. I hope you guys find some enjoyment or even a new wine to add to your repertoire.

Oh, I'm in the US and some of my notes are due to the people I'm sending it too are also US based. So some of the comment are based on some of the commonalities of many US wine drinkers and may not reflect European or other non-US wine drinkers, so please take my comments with that in mind. Obviously, prices are in US dollars.

Bold Reds
Joel Gott Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel: $15 ~ $17

I almost always have a Zinfandel on hand. (with the exception of White Zinfandel, not a fan at all)
sSPu5C.jpg

Michael David Petite Sirah - $15 ~ $17 (AKA Petite Petit)
Open, pour a glass and let it set for about an hour. Will drink like slightly fruity velvet.
LQdC25.jpg

La Flor Malbec or Cabernet Sauvignon: $15~$17
A restaurant near my house has the Cabernet Sauvignon which is how I found this wine. I can’t get the Cabernet at my local wine shop, but they do have the Malbec which is also very good. I’m not a huge Malbec fan, but this is definitely one I do like and keep it around often. These wines are from Chile.
bwxz3m.jpg

Bold Reds that are different for most red wines consumed in the US
Juan Gill Monastrell Jumilla: $12 ~ $14

You’ve heard of Cabernet, Zinfandel, etc. This is a Monastrell. A Spanish wine that has a distinctly different flavor that most reds people drink here in the states. Very good wine!
GYTbW5.jpg

Breca Old Vine Grancha: $13 - $15
Breca is a Granche from Spain. More people in the US drink Granche than Monstrell, but these are very different from the normal too. Very full flavored just like the Monstrell yet distinctly different and very good.
n6KX3q.jpg

Outstanding Pinot Noir
Elouan Pinot Noir: $17 ~ $20

Pour a glass, let it set for an hour and WOW! This wine is ALWAYS in my cellar! I do not know any other Pinot Noir wine that can touch this one is price to how good it is.
RUa9rl.jpg

Meiomi Pinot Noir: $17 ~ $21
This is an extremely popular Pinot Noir. It has a semi-sweet edge to it so a lot of people who aren’t big wine drinkers really like it. I say a sweet edge, but it’s not specifically a sweet wine. If you try Elouan and this at the same time. You will see what I mean. I like it, but Elouan is my go-to Pinot Noir. Actually, I don't drink this one all that much.
0h7zw6.jpg

White Wines
De Morgenzon Chardonnay (or DMZ): $15~ $17
De Morgenzon is a South African Chardonnay. It’s actually quite good if you prefer your chardonnay’s to not be heavily oaked. I enjoy this one quite a bit.

aUKjbk.jpg

L’Ecole #41 (Chenin Blanc): $15 ~ $17
This is a very nice white wine with a lemony edge to it. Very good with bake chicken that may have lemon zest or even baked fish with lemon zest. I drink it all by itself too! This wine is from Washington State.
Ut7Vkg.jpg

McManis Viognier: $8 ~ $11
Viognier is one of my favorite white wines. The best part, they are cheap! Most have a pear type taste to them. If you cannot find McManis, don’t fret. Just ask them what Viognier they have on hand! Most are good that I’ve tried and all have been cheap.
Vo3HU0.jpg

Hi @dcbrown73 probably my favorite is Malbec at the moment but yes - Monastrell i will have to look out for that and try again.
Apparently Monastrell is exactly the same grape as the French Mourvèdre.IN fact it came from Spain .

Notice your list doesn't contain anything with Tempranillo like Rioja or the grape Mencía

unfortunately my wife has me on a quota so i have to finish off the Chianti ; really i haven't found anything from Italy i like except for the bubbly stuff Spumante !

Hi @dcbrown73 probably my favorite is Malbec at the moment but yes - Monastrell i will have to look out for that and try again.
Apparently Monastrell is exactly the same grape as the French Mourvèdre.IN fact it came from Spain .

Notice your list doesn't contain anything with Tempranillo like Rioja or the grape Mencía

unfortunately my wife has me on a quota so i have to finish off the Chianti ; really i haven't found anything from Italy i like except for the bubbly stuff Spumante !

I listed many wines and it could take all day to go through all the wines that are out there. Here are some wines from my tasting notes (they are my images from a few years ago) that I used to write on a blog just to keep track of them.

I tend to lean towards more bold juicy red wines and haven't had a lot of Italian food lately. Clearly, I need to change that as there are some fantastic Italian wines out there.

Now, if you're having trouble finding Italian wines that are very good. Look no further than Amarone wines. (definitely bold and juicy!) Now, that down side is they are much more expensive, but that is due to how it's made. It takes a lot more grapes and time to produce properly.

If you're willing to spend a little more and without obliterating your wallet, there is Palazzo Maffei Amarone that rings in at around $40. (vs others that can easily reach into the $100s) It's a very good bottle. I always recommend letting it breath for a while to burn off any acidity like I do for most red wines.

PCMA5eVwT-FLVfYRvL7ZNJeaI7IxKx2hSDfg9P39cgYnp0bXUXrCqiitKRH7_BK8rGMiSYedl0_R8QWnWpzNmy3ibdUuWnTP5oKgIong6NRonARJ6x9KBinlQ3MBcFhJU28Biqqk5uIn9_cLx4mm2IeVQ9gFXXlPMvQoivuO0O0LgcdHsjFV7lfMAvgr_9t7bv9IlEPJ1skskQ-lIXknW-eiCdCtAS1Agxc4txgCL97ngMsrX9cZ9J-CdNLXRyq60PvmAP1g8t_-txaFc8neQEXJBj_z-j_sOBHrWZsqJRccH3-5SSbkOJaNGlallK-W4bPGaq78uMAjhAnhyTi9Hkpd7pd49sMK5raoZk8V4s5q1aCljrGjRURo7Aw9TTOU6zDsOflkABCCMFS-1i7rxDZe4teP88QaZYxlQjN8EPSt3rGptC7C5mdrB6ypFibE7rcGiM1039xVP7nFqR6x74Cs_1v2NA7UKnbHQXgumXwRD36R2U4taG9yHY1D-AF66toOr-fpMCOU-9D8vvPCfkO3xvm5AwaGTFn2fuVDQJYXQIW0Us2vdckmk2XCpvZdAuV1dJTukA5oUYUsJUdX6hmahjBv7ANW=w735-h979-no

For other Italian wines, I like Brunello wines, but they do not make a whole lot of them and they too can become expensive. The last one I had was a 2006 Casanuova delle Cerbaie Brunello di Montalcino. I came across it from a New Jersey wine seller and was able to pick up a half a case. It is made from Sangiovese.
IMG_20160913_194340.jpg

Here is a Spanish 2010 Baron de Ley Rioja Reseva. It's a Tempranillo and it was quite good when I drank it, but I felt it still needed more time even at six years old.

IMG_20160408_193046.jpg

I had a 2011 Fattoria Petrolo Torrione Toscana. This might be more up your alley as it's a blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Sometimes blends can help soften some of the attributes you dislike about a particular varietal. I think I paid around $23 for this one, but I felt it was a great deal.

IMG_20160321_192837.jpg

How about we finish it off with a Portuguese wine. 2011 Maritavora Tinto Reserva. This is a VERY good wine, but comes in closer to $30. It too is a blend of Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, and Tinta Roriz

IMG_20160317_195430.jpg

well a bit like Warren buffet, the post was in it for the long haul with maybe one or 2 replies every fortnight - that way i could drink my way through suggestions. Now i'm spoilt for choice -I suppose i could narrow it down to which are available from the vineyards of Lidl or Aldi

Normally with the Tempranillo grape I would expect the red wine to be a little on the light weight side (for me) , a little pale in colour and i would put it in an arbitrary group along with Pino Noir. Something i wouldn't drink with a steak .

This one Cepa Lebrel however a 2016 from the vineyards of Lidl surprised me quite robust and I could definitely taste tannin, so i assume it was matured in oak barrels ?

Attachments

• rioja.jpg
    rioja.jpg
    924.9 KB · Views: 247
Not easy to find, one of my favorite Greek wines
Avaton.png

oh and something to remember....
alcoholsayings-298-1.jpg

Whats the grape variety
blend of Old Greek varieties Limnio [only grown on Lemnos], Mavroudi [grown all over Greece] and Mavrotragano.[from Santerini] It a heavy dark red on the nose strawberry coffee and raisin on the pallet fruity and lightly tannic, a bit like a good claret but heaver,
many of the old vineries around Greece still only grow the old verity grapes some of them going back 2000 years or more

Some say Shiraz also called syrah grape has a Persia connection; Persia was an important centre for Wine but DNA testing has established that the parents of Shiraz are mondeuse blanche (mother) and dureza (father), both varieties native to the central-eastern parts of France.

Usually I find a very grab you label on a wine bottle is not backed up by the taste; this time however
I found this South African Syrah very agreeable. Its from the Journey’s end , Gabb Family estate which lies among the rolling, south-facing slopes of the Stellenbosch winelands.

Attachments

• south_african_shiraz.jpg
    south_african_shiraz.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 219
I kinda want to participate in this thread, but I am way too lazy to take pics and post them.

@KGIII you don't have to .

Just post The Brand selling the Wine, grape varieties , nose , something of interest about it .

Also category Eg I would maybe place Syrah with cabernet sauvignon because both Dark , beefy type; whereas Pino noir with something lighter.

Not really interested in your home brew , unless your gong to send me some !

Last edited:
Something slightly different tonight ; from the cellars of M&S instead of Lidl a bottle of "pais" grape from Chilli

Attachments

• pais.jpg
    pais.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 206
Something slightly different tonight ; from the cellars of M&S instead of Lidl a bottle of "pais" grape from Chilli
Heres one for you to try if you havnt already. This used to be my go to red wine back in the day!

Heres one for you to try if you havnt already. This used to be my go to red wine back in the day!

yep drank that one, several times

was given this bottle today by a friend of my late wife. Can anybody tell me anything about it .I will Google later but ..

Attachments

• IMG-20220629-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220629-WA0001.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 122
All I know from that label is that it's a red wine - which is probably obvious. I know what 'rotwein' means. I've never seen the brand before in my life. But, it's a red wine and that's a good sign.

Can anybody tell me anything about it
|It's a mid-quality German red made with Pinot Noir grapes, drinkable but I did not find it exciting [mind you I don't find German wines exciting anyway]

Members online