Occasionally it works....more often than not it fails/crashes etc

Vote please if you have experience of Wine

Wine.....used to run Windows programs (.exe's) in Linux

Does it work flawlessly

Is it just a pain in the butt and a sorry waste of time and effort

Good morning Condo! {It's morning where I am}
I have used WINE on my LM 19.3 as well as previous versions of LM.
Granted, I am not a gamer so I can only report on the programs I use; which turns out to be one.
That one program works very well. {E-Sword is the name of it.}
Off for some breakfast.
OG TC

wine is a mixed bag.
I'm currently on 5.15.

For the most part, wine works good with simple, .. how do I say this.. not to complex, software.
I also use E-sword Charlie. But things like solitaire, minefield, notepad, putty, winSCP, work great in
wine. Lower resource games, like StarCraft II and Age of Empires work pretty good.

High complexity, high resource applications have never worked for me. iTunes, TitanFall, (newer) PhotoShop, DJI-Mavic flight-simulator.. I've never gotten these to work.

WINE is very hit or miss. Sometimes it works well with a certain program and then it stops working, whether it's due to the code in WINE or the app changing, like Firefox. I used to run the Windows version flawlessly, now it doesn't. Sometimes the app gets updated and no longer works, other times WINE gets updated and then no longer works. If the issue is the version of WINE, then PlayonLinux is a great resource. It will load, with your manual configuration, the version of WINE that the app works best with. It's t perfect, still lots of apps that just don't work. For gamers, STeam's Proton works great for most, but still not all.

For the most part, wine works good with simple, .. how do I say this.. not to complex, software.
I might add "older" as a software caveat too. I long used Quicken 2004 and Paint Shop Pro 9 with Wine, but I've given those up for Linux equivalents (Homebank and Gimp, respectively). I still use Wine for a calendar program called WinDates. I can't find a suitable Linux replacement for that.

I also use Wine to run the latest version of RootsMagic, a genealogy program. However, they have a new version due out soon and I can only hope at this point that it will work. I've tried Linux equivalent genealogy programs, but I prefer RootsMagic, and I also need to share data with other family who use Windows only.

Many things will work with Wine, but many will not. Sometimes PlayOnLinux will make Windows software work when Wine fails (even though PlayOnLinux uses Wine itself). These are both great tools, but they are far from perfect.

On the one hand, I am a touch miffed because not so many people responded to the poll.....but on the other hand, I ask myself does this mean that not so many people actually use wine.....and this could mean that Linux is gaining more of a foothold over windows......the people coming over to Linux are finding reliable Alternatives on Linux for their old windows apps .

What think you all ?

Wine.....used to run Windows programs (.exe's) in Linux

Does it work flawlessly

Is it just a pain in the butt and a sorry waste of time and effort

In my experience it works pretty well (At least using staging) except for when dependecies that it doesn't support are required. But with a thriving community you will usually find a fix. A good computer is worth it if you are intending to play recent games as it can require more then the windows requirements (in some situations)

Wine works great for the few programs that I run on it occasionally. 7-zip is a great program for archives and supports more formats than Ark, so I use it sometimes.
That one program works very well. {E-Sword is the name of it.}
Thanks for that info. I did a cursory install and run of e-Sword for my teacher (who is contemplating Linux to speed up his laptop [by the way, he runs a lot of FOSS software, so he's a prime candidate for Linux]) but I didn't actually give it any type of thorough testing. This info may help win him over.

On the one hand, I am a touch miffed because not so many people responded to the poll....
I didn't answer the poll because you needed one more category: Occasionally failure... more often a success. That would have described my experience.

If I don't ask too much of Wine, I am not often disappointed. :)

I didn't answer the poll because you needed one more category: Occasionally failure... more often a success. That would have described my experience.

If I don't ask too much of Wine, I am not often disappointed. :)
I'm glad I read all the way to the bottom of this thread because that is exactly the comment I was going to make! The poll needs one more category.

Mostly or often works .... sometimes doesn't.

I used crossover which is basically a more polished version of wine with a license on it. I was happy to pay for a yearly license to help support the work they do, and they also contribute to the wine project. Before Steam/Proton I used crossover to run Steam, and from their to run my games Under Linux, or at least the ones that worked. I did play the first two remakes two remakes of the new Tomb Raider series on it, World of Warcraft, some older games, and some other games I can't remember. With Steam/proton I don't really use it anymore, but they got plenty of other games and software that runs on it. And most importantly: They helped Valve develop Proton.

So I would also say mostly success, apart from the few times I a game wasn't compatible. Plenty of other games to play if one doesn't run under wine/crossover back then when it was the only choice.

Last edited:
New Category Added !!!!!!

By popular demand I have added ""Mostly or often works .... sometimes doesn't""

Expand on your thought folks....hopefully, someone at Wine will take notes !!!....and other members/guests who visit this page will have an 'instant' idea what will run on Wine and what won't.

Crossover is a good alternative for those who are serious about bringing their windows stuff to life on Linux......their seriousness will become plain by the depth they dig into their pockets to satisfy the yearly licence fee.

Last edited:
Crossover is a good alternative for those who are serious about bringing their windows stuff to life on Linux......their seriousness will become plain by the depth they dig into their pockets to satisfy the yearly licence fee.
It works differently with RootsMagic, the genealogy software I mentioned above. In their case, RootsMagic pays Crossover in a business arrangement that provides what they call a "wrapper" (compatibility layer) for Mac users. This arrangement has been in place for some time, and I think it is why I am able to run their current version (7.6.3) in Linux with Wine. The upcoming new version (8) of RootsMagic is supposed to run natively in MacOS, saving RootsMagic a lot of money. But I worry about compatibility with Linux when this happens. We will see.

This business arrangement might be nice to see in other applications too, if they really wanted to appeal to the Linux market. But sadly, we are usually overlooked, as we all know. If necessary, I will purchase the Crossover license to make RootsMagic 8 work, but there just isn't any way to know yet if they will remain compatible. I may have to run RootsMagic on <gasp!>... Windows. :eek:

[EDIT] I voted for the new option. Thanks! [/EDIT]

Last edited:
I have edited the poll for you to change your vote @LorenDB

If possible, I'd change my vote from "flawless" to this. Things like UEFI updates and LiveUSB creators (e.g. YUMI) just don't work properly on Wine.
Why would you want to run liveusb creators through wine when you have GNU/Linux tools for those? And you have fwupd that supports updating of hardware firmware by some vendors which also works with UEFI if your hardware is supported.

Last edited:
It works differently with RootsMagic, the genealogy software I mentioned above. In their case, RootsMagic pays Crossover in a business arrangement that provides what they call a "wrapper" (emulation layer) for Mac users. This arrangement has been in place for some time, and I think it is why I am able to run their current version (7.6.3) in Linux with Wine. The upcoming new version (8) of RootsMagic is supposed to run natively in MacOS, saving RootsMagic a lot of money. But I worry about compatibility with Linux when this happens. We will see.

This business arrangement might be nice to see in other applications too, if they really wanted to appeal to the Linux market. But sadly, we are usually overlooked, as we all know. If necessary, I will purchase the Crossover license to make RootsMagic 8 work, but there just isn't any way to know yet if they will remain compatible. I may have to run RootsMagic on <gasp!>... Windows. :eek:
Just before Steam/Proton started becoming the better option I bought a lifetime license just because I used crossover so much over the years. Just my share of supporting and thanking them that I appreciated their work and development of crossover and also of their contributions to the wine project.

Why would you want to run liveusb creators through wine when you have GNU/Linux tools for those? And you have fwupd that supports updating of hardware firmware by some vendors which also works with UEFI if your hardware is supported.
Yumi is great. Therefore, I like to use it. ;)

Lenovo doesn't seem to enjoy putting their Ideapad firmware on the LFVS, otherwise I'd use fwupd.

Members online

Latest posts