Wine not the drinking kind

Quite simple old chap I just went to Linux Mint repositories and down loaded from there.
Further to your comment I still access the web through Vindows, mayhap you have forgotten that.;)
Brilliant! :D Well done! :D I remembered your Windows worked, but I obviously forgot about digging into the repository separately. My apologies.

But, sad to say, your battle with Wine is not over... unless you have more tricks up your sleeve. I followed your lead and downloaded wine-stable-amd64.deb from the repository. Double-clicking the file opens it up with Gdebi to process the installation.... but wait, you are still in "dependency" hell. Gdebi says you need 4 more files to make the Wine installation work, and these files are not in the repository (not by the names given by Gdebi).

Sadly, Gdebi does not tell you where to go get them... but it should go get them on its own if it were on the internet. This is a vicious circle, of course. I did a quick look and can find something similar in Ubuntu repositories, but not sure yet if this will work. And I did not find everything needed, so more looking is required.

The Linux Mint repository had a Wine "installer" file too, but that needed 181 dependencies. Yikes!

This should not be so hard. :(

Last edited:

When you plug any new device into a windows based computer it always asks you how do you want to use this device especially anything with the capacity to store data.
This happens with a USB cable and a storage device, but I cannot remember ever having this happen with an Ethernet cable and a network device. You still confuse me! o_O:D

In my simple instructions, I suggested you use Linux Mint, not Windows. Perhaps it will work, if you try. But it is certainly important that you use an Ethernet cable, if by any chance you used USB before. Your MicroTik has a USB port, but it can't be used for this purpose.

Last edited:
I suggested you use Linux Mint
How about I use ReactOS instead of Vindows? :p:p

They also included in the 0.4.12 this
e1000: Added driver for Intel E1000 series network cards.
It is now downloaded. Don't know when I get a chance to do anything as the Missus birthday tomorrow.

Sure, why not. Or any bootable Linux USB flash drive. Or your installed Linux Mint. Hopefully ReactOS would not behave such as Windows in thinking your network device is a storage device.

Don't know when I get a chance to do anything as the Missus birthday tomorrow.
Family first... always. Computer are just toys and tools, for fun and frustration. :eek:o_O:D

A very Happy Birthday to your missus tomorrow! :D:D:D

They also included in the 0.4.12 this
e1000: Added driver for Intel E1000 series network cards.
It is now downloaded. Don't know when I get a chance to do anything as the Missus birthday tomorrow.
ReactOS is very interesting. I've been following it for some number of years now. AFAIK it is still in active active development and getting better all the time!

Hopefully ReactOS would not behave such as Windows in thinking your network device is a storage device.
It may be based on Vindows NT but sure as hell not Vindows.

It may be based on Vindows NT but sure as hell not Vindows.
As far as I know it is an attempt at creating a Windows NT compatible OS such that all binaries will run on it. The developers have gone to extreme lengths to ensure no copyrighted code is used or sneaks in inadvertently.

Well I gave reactOS a burl even though it is still in the alpha mode but it presented me with a very Vindowies style of blue screen that said basically what Vindows says when it sh*ts itself. But yet a gain it just maybe my rig.
I have Wine installed and all its application says is "browse C: " if so.

Members online