Wine not the drinking kind

Nik-Ken-Bah

Reaction score
Credits
I have to install Wine so that I can run winbox on it to set up a Mikrotik router.
All the wine packages are tar files.
I download the one for Ubuntu, as the mint kernel is based on the Ubuntu kernel as there is none specifically for Mint.
When I try extracting to install all it extracts is a file that tells you what is in the package and when I tried installing via the terminal it just says it cannot extract it and exits.

How do I do it?

As a corollary to that question

How do I build an installable package when the need arises?

I have to install Wine so that I can run winbox on it to set up a Mikrotik router.
The short answer here is: If your router requires Winbox to set it up, then use Windows to set it up. Once it is set up correctly, it will work with a Linux computer too. But you will still need to configure your Linux Network Manager to connect to the new router.

Your Winbox program may or may not run in Wine. You could spend a lot of frustrating hours trying to set up Wine and still be disappointed if it does not work with Winbox.

As a corollary to that question

How do I build an installable package when the need arises?
If you downloaded the Wine source code (.tar.xz from this page), then double-clicking that file lets you extract the .tar.xz file into a folder named wine-4.0.2. Inside that folder is a README text file with instructions on how to compile this source code. In general, all source code will be downloaded and installed in a similar way. Always look inside the extracted folder for a README or INSTALL or other file that may have specific instructions because there can be some variations in the steps needed.

If you download the Wine pre-compiled binary files for Ubuntu/Mint (.deb from this page), then you need to follow the instructions they provide for installing without an internet connection. These are .deb files, not .tar ... so I don't really know what you've got. This method requires another working Linux computer that does have an internet connection. If you are following the steps given, I would recommend getting the winehq-stable version instead of winehq-devel shown in their example.

RouterOS[edit]
RouterOS is a network operating system based on Linux intended for installation on MikroTik RouterBoard routers. It can be also installed on a PC, turning it into a router with firewall, VPN server and client, and wireless access point. The system can serve as a captive portal based on a wireless access system.

RouterOS may be configured through a command line interface accessible by serial port, telnet, Secure Shell (SSH), by a web-based interface (WebFig), or with a Microsoft Windows-based software application (Winbox), which provides a graphical user interface. An application programming interface (API) permits the development of specialized applications for monitoring and management.

The operating system is distributed free of charge, but several license levels, with an increasing number of functions, are available with purchase.[3]
Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MikroTik

How are you managing your network connection? network-manager? wicd? connman? wifi-radar? CLI? other?

I find Ceni one of the easiest to use. http://manual.aptosid.com/en/inet-ceni-en.htm

Your Winbox program may or may not run in Wine. You could spend a lot of frustrating hours trying to set up Wine and still be disappointed if it does not work with Winbox.
The RouterOS is based on Linux and Winbox is their installation program. I have a feeling that Winbox is a RouterOS program that can enable it to run in a Vindows DE.
I am wondering since it is based on a Linux kernel I may just give it a burl without Wine first, and mayhap it will run directly on Mint.
I have been watching vids on installing Mikrotik routers and even Vindows needs the winbox plus also someone was installing into a Linux distro and mentioned that you needed Wine to run the winbox.
Some thing I noticed in Vindows you just needed winbox.
I also down loaded the stable version.

network-manager
That once I set-up the router as it needs to be set prior, such as what port is the WAN port, What port is the LAN port, firewall etc.

then double-clicking that file lets you extract the .tar.xz file into a folder named wine-4.0.2.
Thank you. The folder is now sitting on my desktop just forgot what to do next. :eek: but written down now. Been reading on how to use the CLI to-day and how to navigate through files so I will give it a burl either to-day or tomorrow.

Thank you. The folder is now sitting on my desktop just forgot what to do next. :eek: but written down now. Been reading on how to use the CLI to-day and how to navigate through files so I will give it a burl either to-day or tomorrow.
I just installed a brand-new Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2 and downloaded the Wine .tar.xz source code. It's in a folder on my desktop too.Looking at the README file, there are 3 commands needed to install the program from source code. You have to open a terminal in the same folder as the README file to give these commands.

But the very first one, ./configure failed. After giving any Linux command, you need to carefully read the output it returns. There is no sense in giving the other commands until this one executes properly. When compiling software, the output can be very, very long... but these errors came quickly:
Code:
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/home/stan/Desktop/wine-4.0.2':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details

I have not yet reviewed the config.log but this is a reminder: you may spend many frustrating hours trying to make this work. Or maybe it is I who will spend many frustrating hours... because I'm not good at this either.

Instead, I would urge you to just use Winbox on Windows and set up your router, get it working, then concentrate on getting your Linux Mint to work with your router and get online. Installing Wine is easy when you have an internet connection. But if you had internet, you might not need Wine anyway.

By the way... which Microtik router did you buy? There is also no point to setting all this up if you don't have their hardware ready to go. I also wonder if you can't set up the new router just by connecting a cable to it and browsing to the web interface that controls it. That's how most routers work. If Winbox is actually "required".... that will be a first in my experience, but I've never worked with a Latvia based product before either.

If you want to persist in installing Wine from source code, then open a terminal in your wine-4.0.2 folder and give the command, ./configure and see what happens. Do you get the same errors that I've showed above?

which Microtik router did you buy?
At the moment none as the hot water service decided to spring a leak in a pipe and so needed to be replaced. But now it is installed and I only have another till the missus birthday.:eek:o_O:eek:.
One reason I want to try and get the router working from Mint is to see if it can see Mint from its end.
Vindows takes a half hour to finish loading all its files it needs due to it deliberately slowing down the I/O to the HD and gets very laggy otherwise in running programs. Just have to suck and see what occurs.

At the moment none
If you haven't committed to Microtik yet, you may want to think about them some more. These articles are about a year old, but I think I would still be nervous about it. See here and here.

I found this advice quite handy when installing from source
Thanks for that... an excellent tip indeed. So I got past the first error, and then... more errors. The makers of Wine have a page on how to build Wine from source. This is way too far over my head. And @Nik-Ken-Bah will never be able to satisfy all the dependencies by copying manually to his Linux Mint without internet. This is just not the way to proceed to solve his network issues.

Learning to compile from source code is a good thing to learn in Linux, but it is rarely (or never) needed for most users. The best way to learn how to compile software, however, is to first choose projects that have few, or no dependencies, so that success is possible. Start small, and work up to bigger more complex projects.

Cheers

I found this advice quite handy when installing from source;
Thanks for that appreciated.

Thanks for the info, I looked at them and read the same and both reports were published late last year.
While I was reading the crypto currency one they had a link to the MikroTik download page and on there I found that they also have an alternative to Winbox called Webfig and you can read it in the following link.

And that is how most routers are configured... at least all that I have ever seen
Well bit the bullet to-day and got the hAP ac^2 model RBD52g-5HacD2HnD-TC as it also has WiFi ability. It is only a little blighter 120mm X 95mm X 32mm (L x W x D ) or 4-11/16 X 3-7/8 X 1-1/4 Imp. Inches.
So tomorrow we shall see what we see happen. Unable to-day zilch power till I had to do the vacuuming and cook the tea.

Bit the bit the bullet but I am afraid there was no joy to had from it just more bloody questions.
I had to use win box to set up without needing the internet connection.
Bloody Micro(where pigs fly) Soft thinks it owns your computer. Won't even connect through the router just it mini(#$%^%$#$) WAN and you cannot set it up anyother way. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

OK!
How do I go about Installing Wine to Specifically Linux Mint 19.2.
Step by step would be appreciated as I am on my Pat Malone so have to copy it so that I can use it as a reference as I do the Install

OK!
How do I go about Installing Wine to Specifically Linux Mint 19.2.
Step by step would be appreciated as I am on my Pat Malone so have to copy it so that I can use it as a reference as I do the Install
I have looked at building Wine from source code and by downloading the .deb files, and neither of these are going to work. I tried building from source, and it is simply too complicated to give step-by-step directions. Downloading the .deb files requires a working Linux with internet. I started this process too,and the very first step failed because the PPA where the .deb files are stored is not suitable for Mint 19.2 (based on Ubuntu Bionic). Sorry. :(

If you get your Mint configured and get on the internet, you can install Wine the normal way(s). But if you were on the internet, I don't guess you would even need Wine anymore (for Winbox).

You will need to configure your MicroTik with the "Webfig" by connecting a cable to it.

Last edited:
You will need to configure your MicroTik with the "Webfig" by connecting a cable to it.
wish it was that simple and easy.

I'm as thick as two bloody planks at times.
Guess what I found out from Linux Mint?
Apparently Wine is already in the software repository when you install the OS.
But to make sure that I had the files I down loaded them as well. :)

wish it was that simple and easy.
Me too. I've said before... this should not be this hard. o_O:D

These simple steps should connect you to the MicroTik. Do they not?

1. Connect a short Ethernet patch cable to your computer.
1a. Do not have any other Ethernet cables attached to your computer at this time.

2. Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to Port 2, 3, 4, or 5 (not Port 1) of the MicroTik.
2a. Do not have any other Ethernet cables attached to the MicroTik at this time.
2b. Be sure the MicroTik has power and lights up.

3. Open any web browser (Firefox, etc). I actually think Linux will be better for this because Linux is probably using standard networking settings, and I'm not too sure about your Windows settings. But if Linux works, then try Windows next time just to find out. It may not matter at this step.

4. In the browser URL address box, type in 192.168.88.1 and hit Enter.

5. That should bring you to a screen where you have to select WebFig, and then log into the MicroTik. The user name is admin and no password.

If the steps above get you in, I would not try changing anything in the MicroTik yet. I would just like to see you get access to the MicroTik configurations. MicroTik says the default configurations should work, but nothing you have done seems to work as it should. It should not be this hard!!! o_O:D

I'm as thick as two bloody planks at times.
Guess what I found out from Linux Mint?
Apparently Wine is already in the software repository when you install the OS.
But to make sure that I had the files I down loaded them as well. :)
You confuse me... over and over. o_O:D

If Mint does not work on the internet, then how did you download the Wine files?

The "repository" is on the internet... in the cloud... not on your computer. Wine is indeed in the Mint repository, but you need an internet connection to install it. Some other distros have Wine included when you install it, but Mint does not.

If Mint does not work on the internet, then how did you download the Wine files?
Quite simple old chap I just went to Linux Mint repositories and down loaded from there.
Further to your comment I still access the web through Vindows, mayhap you have forgotten that.;)
In the browser URL address box, type in 192.168.88.1 and hit Enter.
That would be the case and was the case the first time I did it but but subsequently to that Vindows has classed it as something else and vetoed the link to it.
Upon reflection of the case Vindows classes it as something to do with media and playing media files from it as the router does have some memory I forget the actual amount of memory it contains.
When you plug any new device into a windows based computer it always asks you how do you want to use this device especially anything with the capacity to store data. I always just cancel the box as none of the labels it wants you to chose from has no distinct relation to what I want to use the device for. So it apparently decides for you how to use the device. The box has no label that says "not to label the device. "

Members online