wine installations disapearing

Reaction score
Credits
ive installed 3 games using wine64.... including fallout: new vegas
but i cannot find their respective folders in .wine folder....each time i want to play fallout i have to reinstall it and it offers me a "launch game" option...

please help

should be located in /home/username/.wine/drive_c/program files or program files (x86)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't got a clue how those entries could just disappear, very strange you might want to give playonlinux a try it should be in the repository of your Distro.(you did not specify which distro you are using.) It installs each program in it's own virtual file and creates a desktop Icon for launching it. give it a try see how it works out for you.

Fallout New Vegas is a 32bit program and should not be installed into wine64 you need wine32 you will need to create a wine32 prefix - PlayOnLinux and WineTricks use 32bit

thanks, playonlinux has been installed but the list is empty
I'm not sure what you mean by the list is empty. You have to install your programs via playonlinux
During installation it will ask if you want to install from what is available or you can choose to install a program from your own exe file. Also you can install more that one wine version and either 32 bit versions. read the documentation I linked before for more information.

Last edited:
Just install it using Lutris, you will make life easier on yourself.

I'm not sure what you mean by the list is empty. You have to install your programs via playonlinux
During installation it will ask if you want to install from what is available or you can choose to install a program from your own exe file. Also you can install more that one wine version and either 32 bit versions. read the documentation I linked before for more information.
if i install wine32.. will it replace wine64 ?

if i install wine32.. will it replace wine64 ?
No not on play on linux or from the repositories. on play on linux you can choose both or either 64 0r 32 bit. In the repository you just have to add the 32 bit libraries for wine. It does not delete 64 bit wine.
this page tells you how to manage wine versions in playonlinux
Playonlinux wine versions

Did you add the 32bit architecture when you originally installed wine that is generally the first step you do before installing wine?
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
and how did you install wine?
A proper 64 bit Wine install should include the needed 32 bit parts in a shared WoW64 setup. 64-bit Wine built without 32-bit support will not be able to run ANY 32-bit applications, which most Windows binaries are. Even many 64-bit programs still include 32-bit components. Seems to me you are missing 32 bit components that is why I ask - How did you install Wine?

Did you add the 32bit architecture when you originally installed wine that is generally the first step you do before installing wine?
Code:
and how did you install wine?
A proper 64 bit Wine install should include the needed 32 bit parts in a shared WoW64 setup. 64-bit Wine built without 32-bit support will not be able to run ANY 32-bit applications, which most Windows binaries are. Even many 64-bit programs still include 32-bit components. Seems to me you are missing 32 bit components that is why I ask - How did you install Wine?
no i didnt.... and when i installed wine64 i just typed sudo apt install wine64

i pasted your line but it didnt download anything..

no i didnt.... and when i installed wine64 i just typed sudo apt install wine64

i pasted your line but it didnt download anything..
It does not download anything just adds the architecture - and the command wine64 that you ran does not install any 32 Bit files and it is the older 5.0 version

Here is how I install Wine 6.0.1 from start to finish on Ubuntu or Ubuntu based OS 20.04

If your system is 64 bit, you first need to enable the 32 bit architecture - run

Code:

Download the official Wine repository key and add it:

Code:
wget -qO - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -

Now use this command to add repository:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository "deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ $(lsb_release -cs) main"

Now that you have added the correct repository, you can install Wine 6.0 using this command:

Code:
sudo apt update

Code:
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

After it has finished installing we need to configure WINE - run -

Code:
winecfg

This will install Wine Grecko twice one is 32 the other 64 and Wine Mono after this is done you are now finished with the installation. Only one last thing to do you will need to associate the ".exe" file extension to the WINE installer - simply right click the ".exe" file and select Properties, now select the "Open With" drop down tab and select "Wine Windows Program Loader"

Doing it the above way also grabs the 32 Bit Files - I would first remove the version of Wine you have then do it this way as posted - this will also grab any updates to Wine 6 from WineHQ should there be any
----------------------------------------------------
This will create a new wineprefix (.wine32 in your home) and configure it as 32 bits:

To set your enviroment variable and also to create your new 32-bit WINEPREFIX go ahead and type:

Code:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg

Now you can Install Winetricks and use that to install 32 Bit only software into that directory

Lutris is available through ppa
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris
Code:
sudo apt update
Code:
sudo apt install lutris

Lutris is available through ppa
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris
Code:
sudo apt update
Code:
sudo apt install lutris

It does not download anything just adds the architecture - and the command wine64 that you ran does not install any 32 Bit files and it is the older 5.0 version

Here is how I install Wine 6.0.1 from start to finish on Ubuntu or Ubuntu based OS 20.04

If your system is 64 bit, you first need to enable the 32 bit architecture - run

Code:

Download the official Wine repository key and add it:

Code:
wget -qO - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -

Now use this command to add repository:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository "deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ $(lsb_release -cs) main"

Now that you have added the correct repository, you can install Wine 6.0 using this command:

Code:
sudo apt update

Code:
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

After it has finished installing we need to configure WINE - run -

Code:
winecfg

This will install Wine Grecko twice one is 32 the other 64 and Wine Mono after this is done you are now finished with the installation. Only one last thing to do you will need to associate the ".exe" file extension to the WINE installer - simply right click the ".exe" file and select Properties, now select the "Open With" drop down tab and select "Wine Windows Program Loader"

Doing it the above way also grabs the 32 Bit Files - I would first remove the version of Wine you have then do it this way as posted - this will also grab any updates to Wine 6 from WineHQ should there be any
----------------------------------------------------
This will create a new wineprefix (.wine32 in your home) and configure it as 32 bits:

To set your enviroment variable and also to create your new 32-bit WINEPREFIX go ahead and type:

Code:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg

Now you can Install Winetricks and use that to install 32 Bit only software into that directory
i pasted all of it in terminal thank you....... do i have wine32 yet ?

Members online