Wine "does not run

On Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 I have Wine 3.0 installed...on Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 I have Wine 5.0 installed but the same windoze software wont run on both...updating is not worth it, for me Wine is just a waste of time...it's much better to find a Linux alternative or a VM. ;)

Don't waste your time on the Wine Forum either as it's just as useless:).

same windoze software wont run on both
I used wine on M17/18/19 when I got a new box M20, I found it a bind just to get WINE to install , and yes my xp version of an interactive teach yourself Greek program wont run in the M20 installation :mad:

Not all Windows based programs will run under WINE - The Windows API is protected by copyright. It is also unique to the Windows operating system, as it depends on all of the core Windows systems being present. Additionally, it is constantly being updated in order to introduce new features and security fixes. This means that the Windows API is a dangerous, finicky, and complicated target.

To get around the copyright risk, all the Wine team can work with is the documented API calls, and only the calls (not the code the calls actually use). They cannot access Microsoft’s source code. They cannot decompile, disassemble, or otherwise analyze the Windows files directly. They have to simply re-create the Windows API calls using original code only. This is a very slow and painstaking process, much slower and more painstaking than it was for Microsoft to come up with these processes themselves. The Windows based programs that run really well under WINE are those whose call functions has been published and based on the original code.

I used wine on M17/18/19 when I got a new box M20, I found it a bind just to get WINE to install , and yes my xp version of an interactive teach yourself Greek program wont run in the M20 installation :mad:

I've had Wine installed for a long time starting with Mint 17.2, I just install it from a Terminal...Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager these days.

I only have MP3Gain and Wave Editor running with Wine now, I did at one time have Avidemux running,that was until I found the Linux version...which is exactly the same. :)

Speaking of Linux Mint Cinnamon 20, when I installed it (clean install) on a spare SSD to test it...I also found some Linux Software wouldn't run and the colour was terrible and washed out but when I tried Cinnamon 20.1 on the same SSD and Computer...everything was fine. :D

I've had Wine installed for a long time starting with Mint 17.2, I just install it from a Terminal...Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager these days.

I only have MP3Gain and Wave Editor running with Wine now, I did at one time have Avidemux running,that was until I found the Linux version...which is exactly the same. :)

Speaking of Linux Mint Cinnamon 20, when I installed it (clean install) on a spare SSD to test it...I also found some Linux Software wouldn't run and the colour was terrible and washed out but when I tried Cinnamon 20.1 on the same SSD and Computer...everything was fine. :D
You can use Audacity to boost your MP3 gain and the latest version does WAV files as well and use EasyTag to edit the meta-data

When you save with Audacity, you can *also* edit the meta data right there. It doesn't support IDv3, so you can't add album art with Audacity. (That's not actually an official part of the MP3 specification, so Audacity doesn't support it.)

When you save with Audacity, you can *also* edit the meta data right there. It doesn't support IDv3, so you can't add album art with Audacity. (That's not actually an official part of the MP3 specification, so Audacity doesn't support it.)
That is why I use EasyTag in conjunction with Audacity so I can add the Cover - just a side note you can also it to edit mpeg4 as well

Members online