Windows XP laptop won't boot to linux with USB[SOLVED!]

Wrath123

Reaction score
Credits
Yesterday i tried booting to linux mint on my windows xp laptop. I went into my BIOS settings and check to see under the boot menu and see this (when my usb is connected) When i reconnect my usb again it wont show no linux mint logo or anything sign of linux trying to boot, but instead it boots back to windows and shows this. when i shut it down again it keeps on boot looping and shows me this every time i try to enter into windows xp. Can someone help me with this?
EDIT:
Specs:
CPU: MObile AMD Sempron (tProcessor 3600+)
Product type: Vostro 1000
BIOS version : 2.6.3
Version of linux mint im trying to install is linux mint 20 xfe.
EDIT 2: this computer is a non UEFI

Last edited:

Can you describe how you made your Mint disk please.

Please post make and model of laptop and also what version of Linux Mint you are trying to install.

Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Linux Mint Mate.
Linux Mint Xfce.

Also is it Linux Mint 19.3 or Linux Mint 20.

Linux Mint Xfce version would probably be the best choice for an old Windows XP computer.

It's possible the graphics adapter may not have the capability to run the high resource demanding requirement of the Cinnamon desktop.

Please post make and model of laptop and also what version of Linux Mint you are trying to install.

Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Linux Mint Mate.
Linux Mint Xfce.

Also is it Linux Mint 19.3 or Linux Mint 20.

Linux Mint Xfce version would probably be the best choice for an old Windows XP computer.

It's possible the graphics adapter may not have the capability to run the high resource demanding requirement of the Cinnamon desktop.
Specs:
CPU: MObile AMD Sempron (tProcessor 3600+)
Product type: Vostro 1000
BIOS version : 2.6.3
Version of linux mint im trying to install is linux mint 20 xfe.

I made my mine by using Rufus and using the UEFI only mode on there.
I've never used Rufus so I have no idea about Rufus.
I suggest creating a bootable DVD using infrarecorder and write the iso image to the DVD not copy.

If Nelson's idea for a DVD isn't an option then, in the past few months, I've seen a number of Rufus problems that were resolved by using Balena Etcher. We hashed it out a bit on another forum and concluded that there's probably some bug with Rufus given the number of problems.

If Nelson's idea for a DVD isn't an option then, in the past few months, I've seen a number of Rufus problems that were resolved by using Balena Etcher. We hashed it out a bit on another forum and concluded that there's probably some bug with Rufus given the number of problems.
that might be the problem, but even though I've seen multiple people on youtube use Rufus and booting linux on their computer and it works for them, but with this one it wont even boot to windows xp, so i have my doubts it'll boot to Linux mint.

Try using the MBR mode instead. I don't even think that Windows XP supports UEFI, so likely your laptop doesn't support it either.

Good call :)

Haven't seen a Dell Vostro in a while. With Rufus I usually have to use "DD mode" rather than "ISO mode". I know they recommend ISO mode, so that you canmake modifications to the file. However this breaks some distro's because they do a checksum against those files.

I know Redhat. SuSE and Fedora all have dual boot loaders on their USB installers. This means I can boot into either LegacyBIOS mode or UEFI mode. The loader will check for both types and it smart enough to know which one you have. I would be extremely surprised if Ubuntu and Mint didn't have something similar.

I like @dos2unix's idea of trying DD mode with Rufus.

It's strange that Etcher isn't working. I assume you verified the downloaded ISO is bit-for-bit correct by way of checksum. A CTRL + F doesn't indicate the word 'verified' isn't on this page. So, you'll want to do that - if you've not done so already.

Try using the MBR mode instead. I don't even think that Windows XP supports UEFI, so likely your laptop doesn't support it either.
Well this is doing the same thing I was doing, and it still didnt work no matter what partition scheme i use.

and the last option for me is this, trying to boot from dvd, I have not yet tried this, dont have a dvd by me, so possibly this can work,but not 100% sure until we try it.

There's still unetbootin left to try - but I've seen quite a few complaints lately with regards to it working as intended.

You did verify the download, right? That's an important step in problems like this. It eliminates the possibility of a corrupted download.

I like @dos2unix's idea of trying DD mode with Rufus.

It's strange that Etcher isn't working. I assume you verified the downloaded ISO is bit-for-bit correct by way of checksum. A CTRL + F doesn't indicate the word 'verified' isn't on this page. So, you'll want to do that - if you've not done so already.
just now finished doing this and i did a few changes in the bios settings on the computer, disabled everything in the boot menu except for the removable usb and usb storage.After I done I went o the mutli boot selection menu, and clicked on removable usb, and after that it says Operating System not found.
edit: forgot to say I that i did this with dd mode with Rufus.

Last edited:
I am at a complete loss. Your computer is 64 bit capable, I verified that by looking up your CPU's stats.

I am pretty much out of ideas. At this point, I'd say to heck with it and try a 32 bit OS just as a lark. I really can't think of anything else. Is it possible that the USB ports are dead? I really have run out of ideas.

Hopefully someone will pop in with more knowledge than I have.