Windows vs. Apple from a linux user's perspective

C

CrazedNerd

Hey everyone, nice to meet you.

I'm just really curious about someone this because I am more computer savvy than the normal person, but I am not really as knowledgable as someone who either has a career in computers or someone who really understands how to use and program linux.

I personally think windows is a lot better than apple, not because the code is any better (actually, i suspect that apple invests more money into programming, and overall apple hardware is very high quality) but because Windows is less secure overall. I personally like devices that are very customizable, that allow you to install things that might be viruses. I've been a windows user most of my life, but i recently bought an iPad and even though i was really happy about using at first, i think it's really stupid that you can't use a USB cable to transfer your files to it from another device, you always have to use the cloud, and if you live in the country like me this is a big problem because the internet out here isn't that great.

In terms of comparisons, what do you think?

As this post is essentially about Windows and Apple, I'm going to move it to the off-topic section.

I personally think windows is a lot better than apple
It's the old Ford or Chevy conundrum.
but because Windows is less secure overall.
Depends upon which metric is used to measure "secure".
I personally like devices that are very customizable
This is getting to the 'heart' of the issue me thinks!
i think it's really stupid that you can't use a USB cable to transfer your files to it from another device
It is. Apple seems to enjoy doing a number of "stupid" things. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I use Microsoft Windows (rarely), iOS, and Linux.
Linux is the only OS which offers any degree of 'freedom'. It's my 'daily-driver'.

Hey everyone, nice to meet you.

I'm just really curious about someone this because I am more computer savvy than the normal person, but I am not really as knowledgable as someone who either has a career in computers or someone who really understands how to use and program linux.

I personally think windows is a lot better than apple, not because the code is any better (actually, i suspect that apple invests more money into programming, and overall apple hardware is very high quality) but because Windows is less secure overall. I personally like devices that are very customizable, that allow you to install things that might be viruses. I've been a windows user most of my life, but i recently bought an iPad and even though i was really happy about using at first, i think it's really stupid that you can't use a USB cable to transfer your files to it from another device, you always have to use the cloud, and if you live in the country like me this is a big problem because the internet out here isn't that great.

In terms of comparisons, what do you think?
Your description request for customisability gives me a result of neither as it is Linux you describe you want.
In any event, you may wish to consider your objectives as the most customisable is open source which is not the same as proprioty such as windows and apple.
You may also like to consider if you value your privacy as windows and apple stuff is all against your privacy unlike Linux which can be much more private also.

Also, Microsoft makes some great hardware - or puts their name on some great hardware.

I absolutely love their mice and keyboards. I've spilled entire beers into Microsoft keyboards and still been able to dry 'em off and use them once they dried. I can't say that for any other brand - and not due to lack of evidence!

I hear great things about the Surface. In fact, I should buy a Surface just to see how good it really is.

Your description request for customisability gives me a result of neither as it is Linux you describe you want.
In any event, you may wish to consider your objectives as the most customisable is open source which is not the same as proprioty such as windows and apple.
You may also like to consider if you value your privacy as windows and apple stuff is all against your privacy unlike Linux which can be much more private also.

Yeah, linux is the most customizable by far, but you have to really love using it in order to really benefit from it. They work so hard to create easy-to-use, diverse software for people, but in the end i am lazy and use Microsoft for the more serious computing. I personally think it's a mistake for programmers to use anything other than windows though, windows makes the whole compiling process an enormous pain in the ass because the CMD language is just not user friendly since they totally scrapped DOS around 20 years ago.

I love linux BASH though...i had some fantasies about making a new operating system that was controlled entired through keyboard, but that would only be useful for touch screen devices.

My iPad showed me how cool a tablet can be, but corporate apple has shit all over my f*cking dreams.

:-(

Also, Microsoft makes some great hardware - or puts their name on some great hardware.

I absolutely love their mice and keyboards. I've spilled entire beers into Microsoft keyboards and still been able to dry 'em off and use them once they dried. I can't say that for any other brand - and not due to lack of evidence!

I hear great things about the Surface. In fact, I should buy a Surface just to see how good it really is.
Microsoft Intel chip is what i would be most concerned about due to the backdoor which most intel Microsoft chips have, thats if privacy is of a concern.

Microsoft Intel chip is what i would be most concerned about due to the backdoor which most intel Microsoft chips have, thats if privacy is of a concern.

What is the backdoor? Explain it to me if you desire. Privacy is not much of a concern of mine because I understand how the 3 letter agencies currently function...the problem with arresting people through their perspective is they are dealing with a huge amount of data and they have to fallow some rules as well.

If some hacker wants to see me watch movies or use the internet through some microscopic hidden camera, well i'd like them to try to get me to download some malware! I don't actually smoke crystal meth that's just my username.

What is the backdoor? Explain it to me if you desire. Privacy is not much of a concern of mine because I understand how the 3 letter agencies currently function...the problem with arresting people through their perspective is they are dealing with a huge amount of data and they have to fallow some rules as well.

If some hacker wants to see me watch movies or use the internet through some microscopic hidden camera, well i'd like them to try to get me to download some malware! I don't actually smoke crystal meth that's just my username.
If one doesnt value their privacy much then this backdoor is of little concern.
If one is concerned for their privacy then one should be concerned with Microsoft intel ME / AMD chip as it is locked and forced on. i.e. unable to be turned off from BIOS on most machines, however some machines simply dont have the said chips at all thus they are not capable of being on or off as it doesnt exist and other machines they can be simply turned off in BIOS.

One needs to understand the threat to understand the potential issues with regards to the reality of the enormity of the privacy violation which is not about hackers watching anyone or viewing movies you watch etc as a Backdoor directly into your Intel chip means, everything and i mean everything is potentially accessible in plain text to at least the key holder of the door.
This is, every document ever viewed, typed, downloaded, network and network devices, shared and associated network devices, location, all devices mac addresses and fingerprints, everything done online etc, if the chip uses it then the backdoor is fully open to it too.

This URL may get you asking your self some questions, thought you may like it = https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

I just thought to add with regards to where you say about you downloading any malware, idk your set up but if you have any microsoft software for instance then this is an example of malware by definition.

Thanks for the link...

yeah there's all sorts of privacy issues with windows now adays, like how they download your information onto their hard drives, this was a big concern a couple years after windows 10 came out.

And yeah, plain text bad from a security perspective, the internet is screwed, it was a terrible idea from the start. I've been reading about how a lot of people are digging elon musk's starlink, however i still don't freakin want it, my internet works just fine with a sprint hotspot. I'm sure that's got crazy security issues as well since i'm accessing the web through a freakin cell tower on the mountain behind my house.

Thanks for the link...

yeah there's all sorts of privacy issues with windows now adays, like how they download your information onto their hard drives, this was a big concern a couple years after windows 10 came out.

And yeah, plain text bad from a security perspective, the internet is screwed, it was a terrible idea from the start. I've been reading about how a lot of people are digging elon musk's starlink, however i still don't freakin want it, my internet works just fine with a sprint hotspot. I'm sure that's got crazy security issues as well since i'm accessing the web through a freakin cell tower on the mountain behind my house.
idk your network config, but if your using cell data for internet then you may wish to use a paid VPN service if you wanted any privacy.
I doubt you have as many Security issues with your described set up than you do have privacy issues with it.
idk anything much about elon chat, but if its anything to do with a satalite internet then dont worry as theres no such thing as people get their internet via a large cable which runs from the cell tower to a main Cell collection data centre which is also wired under the Sea as satalites dont seem to exist in actuality, even a satalite dish doesnt point upwards to a satalite because it also uses a wire from the cell tower to which it points to.

yo everyone, just posting an update:

i sold my iPad cuz those things hold their value, and bought a Galaxy Tab S7. I'm returning it now after playing with it for a few seconds: it won't fucking let me even install any apps without me doing everything it tells me to do.

No bullshit. I go to the play store, start updating the netflix app, then it sends me back to do the settings over again. It's this patronizing "security" standard again that makes everyone mindless in the process, i bet...

yo everyone, just posting an update:

i sold my iPad cuz those things hold their value, and bought a Galaxy Tab S7. I'm returning it now after playing with it for a few seconds: it won't fucking let me even install any apps without me doing everything it tells me to do.

No bullshit. I go to the play store, start updating the netflix app, then it sends me back to do the settings over again. It's this patronizing "security" standard again that makes everyone mindless in the process, i bet...
maybe best to de-google the Tablet with No GAPS, maybe Lineage with microG as then its private and doesnt ask for anything from you.

maybe best to de-google the Tablet with No GAPS, maybe Lineage with microG as then its private and doesnt ask for anything from you.

Well how are apps usually installed on tablets outside of the apple ap store and Google play? That's important to know. I'm definitely considering switching to linux 100% after this thread...one reason I left is cuz ubuntu crashed through no effort of my own but they're all capable of doing that even.

Well how are apps usually installed on tablets outside of the apple ap store and Google play? That's important to know. I'm definitely considering switching to linux 100% after this thread...one reason I left is cuz ubuntu crashed through no effort of my own but they're all capable of doing that even.
You can either manually download apk's or you can install an alternate app store, the most popular one that I know of is F-Droid but there are others.

If you need an app store containing all normal playstore stuff then i can recommend Aurora Store (no sign-in) for free unpaid apps on Lineage as well as F-Droid as f33 above advises.

Members online