Windows Subsystem for Linux

godrats0x00

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!
Last time I heard about WLS. I have used Linux as main system since long time and im comfortable with shell etc.. I used ubuntu, mint, arch, manjaro and now manjaro i3.
I bought good cpu and gpu for games, but some games doesn't work with wine.
I don't want to waste of that resources and I want to install WLS.
Im little disgousting about MS products but the most of games is full compatible with Windows. What is your experience with WLS?

I wouldn't install WSL for anything in the world. You'd better tell me which linux distro you're using and which games won't run. Bc atm the only games that won't run in Linux are MMO games containing anti-cheat systems like GameGuard or those written in Java for Windows. Everything else I've ever tried has run without much hassle.

Thanks for opinion. I'm using already manjaro i3.
Exactly, it's MMO game give me error when starting.
I also install Witcher 3 with lutris and another game on steam is working fine.

Do you test performance on linux vs windows in games? Do you use some program to better performace or just use default?

I would divide gaming on Linux vs windows into two categories.

1> Performance. graphics performance on Linux has come a long way in the last year or two.
I get frame-rates comparable (or even better is some cases) than I do on Windows.

2> Compatibility. alas, windows can run many more games than Linux. They likely could run on Linux,
but no one wants to take the time to port them over. Most linux users want "free stuff" including free games. The good games on Windows cost $$$.

Steam is very good on Linux, in fact so far I haven't seen any games that won't run under it.
Steam is the one game market that has a platform that supports "pay to play" on Linux.
It is actually making more money for them than expected. I would think if this continues
for a couple more years, more games will come out for Linux, once software companies
realize Linux user would be willing to pay for some things.

Wine emulation games are hit and miss. Usually simpler, low resource games run under wine fine.
High resource, complex games tend not to run under wine well (if at all).

(The fear is... we would turn into Windows, and software companies will start charging for everything).

All that aside. WSL is not a full replacement for Linux. You can't install X-windows
or many software packages. So far I have been unable to compile anything useful with GCC or
C-Lang in WSL. You are much better off running a VM for these things.

Thanks for opinion. I'm using already manjaro i3.
Exactly, it's MMO game give me error when starting.
I also install Witcher 3 with lutris and another game on steam is working fine.

Do you test performance on linux vs windows in games? Do you use some program to better performace or just use default?
I haven't tried any of the Witchers cuz I never liked the first game and I've never tried the sequels how they run on Linux. But I have a sort-of-a-friend who had run either of them on Arch Linux and AFAIK they ran just fine.

Personally I hate Lutris. Everything is too complicated there and almost never any game runs with it. I'm using only pure Wine and DXVK or sometimes D9VK. And don't count on Steam Proton bc it's a young fork of Wine. And while Steam Proton has some games at bronze or borked state of performance, I have the same games (such as GRID 2, for instance) running at platinum performance with Wine 5.7+ and DXVK 1.7:

90% of the games I've ever tried on Linux have worked just fine with Wine, DXVK and library override, even some MMO games, like Drift City Remastered which works out of the box. Recently I even got a funny experience: "Life is strange" native for Linux would give me only a black screen whereas the Windows version ran just fine without any problems. :D
Also, most of the games I play somehow run a lot better in Linux (natively or with Wine) than they do natively in Windows. Such games are GTA 5 and Mad Max. In Windows 7 I can never run GTA 5 at its highest settings bc frames fluctuate like crazy. In Linux I play GTA 5 at the highest settings with 60 FPS sharp, no matter what happens on the screen. Mad Max has a native Linux version and a Windows version. Guess what - the Windows version tends to drop frames from 60 to 15 in a specific region of the map. In the native Linux version that never happens.
I even ran some games you can't play nowadays on a modern system with Windows bc Windows cries about architectures and these games wouldn't even install: Twisted Metal 1 & 2. Other old games such as Carmageddon 1 & 2, Hard Truck Apocalypse or even NFS Underground 2 tend to crash in Windows a lot,
whereas nothing like that ever happens in Linux.
The only games I haven't been able to play in Linux so far (bc they ran without any fonts in the menus) were Project Torque (it's available on Steam), Next Stop 2 & 3. Oh, and WRC 2, which gave me just a blank white screen for unknown reasons but that's pretty much it.

So, about performance comparison, I'd say Linux beats Windows but whether a game would run or not depends on many things, one of which is the user's knowledge of how to get things done. I admit I don't know much either, I just do "trial and error" in most of the time. I also run the game not by clicking its exe but by typing "wine game.exe" in the terminal, so that I can see what errors (if any) will return and act accordingly.

Thanks for comprehensive feedback and stop me to install windows :D
On the other hand you give me motivation to install cinnamon arch so Thx x2 :D

Staff online

Members online