Windows member going to Linux

Sparro0w

Reaction score
Credits
It's the first time in my life that I'm going to install a Linux, because I'm tired of Microsoft.

The problem is, I hear a lot of people say that Linux is not good for games. But I see a lot of people running games on Linux.

The truth is that I want to adapt to Linux and leave Windows for good.

Can anyone tell me a good distribution for me to program and play with?

Welcome to the forums
I am not a gamer , but have heard good thing about Fedora Games spin

Bwiz

Welcome to the forums
I am not a gamer , but have heard good thing about Fedora Games spin

Bwiz

I am a longtime Microsoft user using Windows for a total of 15 years.

I wanted a distribution that would be a friendly introduction to me. I heard a lot about Zorin OS, for those who are coming from Windows 10 this Zorin distro is a good choice.

I realized that running games on Linux needs an emulator, Lutris libraries and something like that, I'll study more so I can get informed. But the question is:

Is there a distro that is easy for the recent ex-windows user to farmilize with Linux?

I wanted a Linux to program and play. In my work I program in LUA .script and C#, and in my free time I play or play a bit with Blender 3D. But I'm worried about not being able to play on Linux, even though nowadays many say " HAPPYLY Linux is getting the attention of the game companies"

Sorry for my stalling. I'm new here and looking forward to migrating to Linux. It's the first time I've been interested in using Linux OS. I've heard a lot about Linux but I always ignored it, now I want to get into the Linux Universe.

I realized that running games on Linux needs an emulator, Lutris libraries and something like that, I'll study more so I can get informed. But the question is:

Well there are hundreds of native games. But yes Lutris and steam are popular.
Many games run under wine.

Can anyone tell me a good distribution for me to program and play with?

JasKinasis works i believe as a professinal programmer, he might have some in put on it, but all Linux Distros have the capacity to hel pwith programming. All to my knowldge have python for instance so your up and running if you just type python into a terminal eg:
Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ python                                       (06-03 20:38)
Python 3.9.5 (default, May 24 2021, 12:50:35) 
[GCC 11.1.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>
Here i'm getting Python 3.9.5 on my last OS i got python 2.7 so it depends how bleeding edge you want python.

Now for web development it migth come down to install using an OS that there is a large userbase and you can understand the documentation to use something like xampp or install LAMPP , edit apche and find your way around httpd.conf etc , virtual hosts and the like . Then there are front end task runners such as Grunt and Gulp- sometimes you have to take a lateral thinking approach. Setting up several web app directories for me on Arch wasn't that much different to doing it on Slackware. I did find however that it seems Arch is so far ahead sometimes developers lag behind and so their software has glitches. I couldn't get gulp working so i switched to grunt - works no problem

I cam across this for gaming : https://manjaro.org/features/usercases/gamers/

PS i'm using waterfox classic and spelling mistakes are not coming up- firfefox has menu to tick for spelling . My version of waterfox seems to have no capacity for spelling !

Last edited:
I am a longtime Microsoft user using Windows for a total of 15 years.
to be honest 15 yrs is not a long time, its just that windows makes it seem that way

Easiest Linux for newcomers I would normally ask for your machine details, but as your gaming it must be near top end , so my suggestions are Mint [although a pretty distro its getting a bit bloated] or for something lighter lubuntu, linex lite, MX linux or any Debian based distro with XFCE desktop.
whatever you choose you will be on a learning curve so don't be put off, select half a dozen distros, download them then run them live [without installing] to see which you like best and works best for you.
Bwiz

@f33dm3bits is a gamer with a lot of knowledge.

Maybe he will swing by here and offer his comments.

I run rolling release distribution for gaming and it's the best gaming experience I've had so far but since you are new to GNU/Linux have a look at PopOS. I only use the the Steam client in combination with Proton which is integrated, if you want to run non-Steam games you can have a look at Lutris. I have used it once or twice a long time ago so don't have any recent experience with it but from what I read it's made gaming just as easy as with running it through Steam/Proton.

Last edited:
I've heard great things about gaming on Solus.

I went and found some info from other people, 'cause I do not game or use Solus.

Fixed URL 'cause I don't pay attention!

Last edited:
@KGIII, methinks you wanted to paste a different link? (You can delete this comment.) ;)

I'm back guys, after some time doing some deep research I decided to install the Linux Mint Cinnamon distro:

I'm really enjoying it, I adapted well, I liked the Hardware Update System, Firewall, System Update... Snap Store, Application Manager.

I learned how to use Wine, Lutris, Proton for games on Steam. I'm happy, very happy, I'm finally free... I hope I'll never use Windows again, and I hope even more to see the Linux Community grow and each day Linux becomes more adaptable and more evolved.

Thanks for the help of everyone who answered my topic.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux!

Staff online