Windows games?

K

kreso93

Can I run windows games on Linux (Ubuntu)? I tried it once, but I failed setting it up (Wine it was called or something like that). Can anyone tell me if they managed to successfully run a windows game on Linux?

Yes, It's called Wine. But I wouldn't advice you doing it with Wine, PlayOnLinux is much better, try that one! By the way, I don't think that playing on Linux is too good, whenever I tried I just got bad FPS and slower games. I'd stick with Dual booting.

Yes, It's called Wine. But I wouldn't advice you doing it with Wine, PlayOnLinux is much better, try that one! By the way, I don't think that playing on Linux is too good, whenever I tried I just got bad FPS and slower games. I'd stick with Dual booting.

Yeah, I guessed that'll be the answer. I was trying to get it to work on my old PC that I was using as a testing server, and I needed to run some windows games on it as well (to play in multiplayer lol). Too bad I sold it, but the dual booting idea will work. I think I'll install Ubuntu on my new PC and run it with Windows as well.

Yeah, but make sure you install windows first! You can do it either way, but It's easier to install win first because if you install it second you won't have grub by default, because win erases it. So install win first, then ubuntu and ubuntu will make grub for you. Grub is the boot loader where you can choose between operating systems

I have a spare HDD that I gonna mount in my PC and install Ubuntu on it :D Win!

Yes Wine is good for Most Windows applications and few smaller games, but it wont guarantee you best playing performance i guess.

I've played most ported applications from WebOS on my Debian mobile - Maemo but i haven't played many windows games on my Linux.

Can I run windows games on Linux (Ubuntu)? I tried it once, but I failed setting it up (Wine it was called or something like that). Can anyone tell me if they managed to successfully run a windows game on Linux?

Yes/NO (or Jein). The Wine support has become very good and allows a lots of Windows Based Application to work. But this only counts for the mainstream Applcations. Games like World of Warcraft for example running very well. But it depends always on the mass of player/user and the age of it. Brand new Applications/Games will work with lesser change as older games.

But some will just not work. Sometime there are some costume patches for Wine, but there have to be patched by yourself to the source. This can be sometime a real mess.

You should check out the Wine App Web Pages. They offering good documentation for single Applications/Games.

so far
Akendo

PS: Good is a other thing, often it's more "runs a bit is better, then nothing"

Yes/NO (or Jein). The Wine support has become very good and allows a lots of Windows Based Application to work. But this only counts for the mainstream Applcations. Games like World of Warcraft for example running very well. But it depends always on the mass of player/user and the age of it. Brand new Applications/Games will work with lesser change as older games.

But some will just not work. Sometime there are some costume patches for Wine, but there have to be patched by yourself to the source. This can be sometime a real mess.

You should check out the Wine App Web Pages. They offering good documentation for single Applications/Games.

so far
Akendo

PS: Good is a other thing, often it's more "runs a bit is better, then nothing"

Hey, thank you very much for this detailed answer :)

I'm pretty sure you should be able to run Windows games on Linux. There should be some emulators lying around here and there, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. It would obviously be an excellent addition, though.

I have never had any luck with Wine either, I would recommend what other people are saying. Dual booting is my favourite, but since it is a server I would not recommend this as you cannot run both windows and linux at the same time. If you are desperate you could always install Virtual Box and create a virtual machine running windows inside your linux OS, then install all your games in there. It would work for sure, and would keep what happens in Windows out of what happens in Linux, without the need of rebooting.

I definitely agree with Remp on this! I have used Wine many times when attempting to run various games that are meant for Windows and I struggled a majority of the time. If I was lucky enough for the game to install properly, the game play would be quite horrid. I cannot count how many times that the game would install, but the game launcher would not work properly, preventing me from entering the game. Graphics would not display properly and lagging was quite frequent. Most of the time, I would not be able to properly install the game, no matter what Wine version I would try.

PlayOnLinux is quite good and I had slightly better luck using this program. I still experienced graphical errors or extremely high FPS when using this program. Often times, I end up freezing and having to force down any game session that I would run.

I think that most Linux users would tell you that if you are wanting to run a Window's game on a Linux OS, you must have nerves of steel. I gave up and began researching Linux games. You will be surprised at what is available, depending on your gaming style preference, and the install process is much easier.

If you have low FPS in Wine or PlayOnLinux or you can't get the game running then I'd recommend a couple of Linux games like: Nexuiz, America's Army, Vendetta, Alien Arena 2007, Urban Terror, Second Life, Quake, etc.

HF gaming!

The only emulator that I could actually get working (or at least that I could remember) to run games such as World of Warcraft (a few years back) was Wine. I don't really bother using emulators or even playing games on Linux OS's at all any more though. It's so much more worth it and less time consuming to just dual boot.

The only emulator that I could actually get working (or at least that I could remember) to run games such as World of Warcraft (a few years back) was Wine. I don't really bother using emulators or even playing games on Linux OS's at all any more though. It's so much more worth it and less time consuming to just dual boot.

I have to say that I agree with you regarding dual boot. I say this is especially true if you are wanting to play Windows-based games. It is very time consuming, confusing, and simply aggravating at times to get a Windows game to work properly through an emulator. There is a chance that some will run perfectly and if you get one that is able to do so, more power to you! :D Dual booting allows you slightly more leverage when it comes to the use of Windows programs as you can simply boot up your Windows system when needed and still rely on Linux for everything else.

Linux has plenty of good games on it, and I play a few of them on my laptop, however, they aren't mainstream games. If you want to play new games, either use dual-boot or have a second computer.

Members online